This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Guaza de Campos (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: guaza de campos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Guaza de Campos - Image by Ivan Sache, 2 February 2014

See also:

Presentation of Guaza de Campos

The municipality of Guaza de Campos (68 inhabitants in 2013; 3,234 ha; Castillos de Palencia website) is located in the southeastern corner of Palencia Province, on the border with Valladolid Province, 40 km from Palencia.

Guaza de Campos might have been named for acuazal, "a low, wet land", from Latin aqua, "water" and the suffix -al indicating abundance. In 963, the village was listed as Quatza in a donation made by Ferdinandus Avol Haceves to the Sahagún monastery. The village was transferred in 1199 to the Order of Saint James; In 1549, Charles V sold Baltanás and Guaza de Campos to Pedro de Zúñiga, Marquis of Aguilafuente, for 16,943,252 maravedis. The last remains of the wall surrounding the village crashed down in August 1999.

Ivan Sache, 2 February 2014

Symbols of Guaza de Campos

The flag and arms of Guaza de Campos (images, municipal website) are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 27 December 2012 by the Municipal Council, signed on 12 February 2013 by the Mayor, and published on 15 March 2013 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. No. 52, p. 19,280 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular, in proportions 1:1. White, gyronned blue on top. All over is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: In Spanish shape, per fess, 1. Azure a chapel or with the bell tower at dexter, 2. A cross of St. James. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.

The chapel represented on the arms is the Santo Cristo de Acebes chapel, built in the 16th century in Mudéjar style and revamped in the 18th century. The chapel, possibly named for the aforementioned re- settler Ferdinandus Avol Haceves, was the center of a village disappeared long ago. The chapel's presbytery keeps an altarpiece made c. 1750 by the Valladolid-based artist Pedro de Verano.
Three sculptures made of polychromous wood, representing St. Matthew (14th century), St. John the Baptist (18th century), and the Blessed Virgin (late 16th century), respectively, were robbed from the chapel in October 2005 (Diario Palentino, 3 October 2005).

Ivan Sache, 2 February 2014 January 2011