Last modified: 2016-05-26 by ivan sache
Keywords: villarejo de salvanés |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Villarejo de Salvanés - Image by Ivan Sache, 6 August 2015
The municipality of Villarejo de Salvanés (7,950 inhabitants in 2014; 11,860 ha; toursim website) is located in the south-east of the Community of Madrid, on the border with Castilla-La Mancha (Province of Toledo), 50 km of Madrid.
Villarejo de Salvanés was established in the middle of the 13th century by the Order of Saint James, near the old village of Salvanés. Villarejo de Salvanés soon became the capital of the Encomienda Mayor de Castilla, which included the domains of Fuentidueña de Tajo (Madrid), Berrinches, La Almedia and Torrenueva (Castilla-La Mancha), and Benatae (Jaén, Andalusia). The commanders of the Order embellished the town; Luis de Requesens y Zúñiga had one of his sons christened in the St. Andrew church of the town and founded a temple to reward the Blessed Virgin for her contribution to the victory of Lepanto (7 October 1571), where he had fought.
The fortress erected by the Order on the foundations of a Moorish atalaya (watch tower), locally known as "El Castillo", is the emblem of Villarejo. The fortress is made of a quadrangular donjon, of 22 m in height, protected by eight peripheral towers.
Villarejo de Salvanés is the birth town of the professional cyclist Mariano Díaz (1939-2014; obituary), winner of a stage and King of the Mountains in the Vuelta a España 1967 and of a stage in the Vuelta a España and in the Tour de France 1969.
Ivan Sache, 6 August 2015
The flag (photo,
photo) and arms of Villarejo de Salvanés are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 15 March 1995 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 28 March 1995 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 74, p. 38 (text), and on 18 April 1995 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 92, pp. 11,429-11,430 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: In proportions 2:3. Red panel with a blue stripe outlined in yellow running from the lower hoist to the upper fly.
Coat of arms: Gules a castle argent masoned and port and windows sable ensigned by a 12-pointed star argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
The Royal Academy of History validated a completely different flag, quartered by a cross, 1. and 4. White with a red Cross of St. James, 2. Red with a green branch of olive, 3. White with a yellow wheat spike. The drawing attached to the submission includes a municipal coat of arms surmounted with a mural crown, which should be omitted.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1989, 186:2, 311]
Ivan Sache, 6 August 2015