This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Saint-André-d'Argenteuil, Quebec (Canada)

Laurentides RCM

Last modified: 2022-02-26 by rob raeside
Keywords: saint-andré-d'argenteuil | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[flag] image by Masao Okazaki, 18 February 2022
based on photo

See also:


The municipality of Saint-André-d'Argenteuil (3,020 inhabitants in 2016; 10,190 ha) is located 90 km west of Montreal. The municipality was established on 29 December 1999 as the merger of the former municipalities of Saint-André-Est, Carillon and Saint-André-d'Argenteuil.

The battle of Long-Sault was aught in Carillon on 1660. Adam Dollard des Ormeaux (1635-1660) and his 16 fellows resisted until death for several days to the assault given by Iroquois and Hurons, which prevented an attack of Montreal.
The first feudal domain, which included Carillon Island, was granted on 15 June 1682 by Intendant Jacques Duchesneau (1631-1696) and Governor Louis de Buade de Frontenac (1622-1698) to Charles-Joseph d'Ailleboust des Muceaux (1621-1700). The colony's upper part was crossed by North River, while its southern part was crossed by Red River. The lord ceded the domain in 1697 to his son, Pierre d’Ailleboust d’Argenteuil (1659-1711), who named it Argenteuil. The domain was settled at the end of the 18th century by Scottish colonists and American Loyalists.
Canada's first paper mill was erected in 1803 in Saint-André-Est. The civil parish of Saint-André-d'Argenteau was established in 1855.
Adolphe-Basile Routhier (1839-1920) wrote in Carillon in 1880 the French lyrics of the Canadian national anthem, "Ô Canada".
Town website
Ivan Sache, 15 February 2022


Flag has the municipal arms near the hoist and "Municipalité Saint-André-d'Argenteuil" at the fly in black.
Dave Fowler, 14 February 2022

The X-shaped cross is St. Andrew's cross. The two fleurs-de-lis represent Quebec.
The cable recalls the union of the villages to form a municipality. The ship's steering wheel represents navigation. The blue line represents the rivers. The two thunderbolts represents the power station.
The red field comes the arms of d'Ailleboust, first lord of Argenteuil. The two stars or represent nobility. The chevron or represents construction. The wheat sheaf represents agriculture.
The Latin motto reads "Over the Water" referring to the development of The town performed through rivers.
Town website
Ivan Sache, 15 February 2022