This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Entroncamento Municipality (Portugal)

Concelho do Entroncamento, Distrito de Santarém

Last modified: 2015-06-22 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: entroncamento | railway signal | rail profile |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Entroncamento municipality] 2:3 image by André Serranho, 19 July 1999
See also: External links:

About the Flag

It is a fairly typical Portuguese municipal flag, with the coat of arms centred on a background gyronny (meaning city rank) of white and red.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 19 July 1999

Coat of arms

[Entroncamento municipality CoA] image by Sérgio Horta,

The coat of arms is sable a round railroad hand sign gules bordered argent with handle or, between two rail profiles of the latter. Mural crown argent with five visible towers (city rank) and white scroll reading in black upper case letters "ENTRONCAMENTO".
"Entroncamento" means "junction" and it is a major knot in the portuguese railroad network. A large part of the municipality’s tiny area is in fact occupied with railway facilities, and railway operation is by large the most important activity in the city. This connection is clearly illustrated in the coat of arms, which is in my humble opinion an excellent work of “modern” heraldry.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 19 July 1999

Version without Coat of Arms

[Entroncamento municipality plain] 2:3 image by António Martins-Tuválkin, Apr 2010

Old Flag (1946-1992)

[Entroncamento municipality (1946-1992)] 2:3 image by André Serranho and Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 June 2015

From 23 August 1946 (published in Diário da República: II Série), replaced on 3 September 1992, Entroncamento Municipality had a flag quartered of red and white and the mural crown had only four visible towers. The coat of arms was the same as of current flag..
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 June 2015

Presentation of Entroncamento

Entroncamento municipality had 14 700 inhabitants in 1990, and it consisted of only one commune, covering 14 km². It belongs to the Santarém District and to the old province of Ribatejo.
The settlement came to being in 1864 as a junction of the railway lines from Lisbon to Porto and a branch line to Spain via Abrantes. It belonged to Vila Nova da Barquinha from 24 August 1926 until 26 November 1945, and it gained town rank immediately. It was upgraded to city rank on 20 June 1991. On 17 February 2005 the National Railway Museum (Portuguese: Museu National Ferroviário) was established here.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 19 July 1999

back to Municipalities of Portugal click here