Last modified: 2020-07-26 by rob raeside
Keywords: italy | cispadane republic | emiliana republic | modena | ferrara | bologna | transpadane republic | novara | cisalpine republic | transpadana |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Mario Fabretto, 9 January 1997
The very first "Italian" flag (7 January 1797). An
horizontal tricolour red - white - green with the the republican
arms in the middle.
Alessandro Martinelli, 29 January 1996
The revolt in Modena-Reggio took effect on 26 August 1796 and
the Republic of Reggio (later Emiliana Republic) was proclaimed .
Probably the colors green, white and red (horizontal) were used.
French troops arrive on 13 October.
Modena, Ferrara and Bolonia proclaimed each one as a republic probably with also the same colors. The Cispadana federation was created (Congress of 16-18 October) and later became Republic on 28 December 1796. The emblem (four arrows) was adopted on 2 January 1797 and the arms on 3 January.The flag was adopted on 7 January 1797.On 25 January It was proposed to add a fifth arrow in arms, devoted to Massa-Carrara (that adhered to the Republic) but if it was made is unknown. The flag really was in use after 25 February and was supressed de facto on 19 May 1797.
Cispadana and Transpadana were merged (and also the province of Novara was merged) and the Cisalpina republic was created on 30 June 1797.Cisalpina adopted flag on 11 May 1798. It was Occupited by Austria (1799) and was restored (1800) after Marengo. On january 1802 took the name of Italian Republic (later, 1805, Kingdom of Italy (1805-1814)).
Jaume Ollé, 13 October 1998
The design of the emblem used on the national flag of the
Cispadan Republic has been found only in 1963 on a very rare
document issued 19 May 1797! So even the flag of one of the most
important states is known from descriptions and only one image!
Mario Fabretto, 14 October 1998
I located a photo of a flag
Mark Sensen, 31 October 2000
Translated From <www.geniusnet.it>:
"From the proceedings [verbals] of Session XIV of the
Cispadano Congress [this was probably a congress formed by a
group of regions from the Padana Valley on the lower side of the
Po River] Reggio Emilia, January 7, 1797, at 11:00 a.m..
Patriotic Hall. The intervened are 100, deputies from the
populations of Bologna, Ferrara, Modena, and Reggio Emilia.
Joseph Compagnoni of Lugo [some small town in that area] makes a
motion that the Cispadana tri color Flag, Green, White, and Red
becomes universal, and that these three colors be used also in
the Cispadana arm band (ribbon), which should be carried by
everyone. It [the motion] is decreed ".
Dov Gutterman, 15 July 2001 and Raffaele Di Cecca, 6 August 2001
A vertical Italian flag is hanged at the Sala del
Tricolore (Room of the Tricolor), currently the council
chamber of the Reggio Emilia comune.
The room, designed by the architect Lodovico Bolognini, to be the archive of the ducal family of Este, is mostly know in connection with the creation of the Italian tricolor, from which it takes its name. This room, in fact, on December 27, 1796, hosted the congress of delegates from Reggio Emilia, Modena, Bologna and Ferrara, who, after proclaiming the Repubblica Cispadana, adopted on January 7, 1797 a horizontal tricolor of green, white and red (with red at the top) which is considered the first Italian tricolor.
E.R., 13 October 2009