Last modified: 2019-12-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: ain |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Pays de Gex agglo - Image by Ivan Sache, 27 August 2019
The Communauté d'agglomération du Pays de Gex (CAPG), usually known as Pays de Gex agglo (90,151 inhabitants in 2015; 40,485 ha) and originally established in 1996 as the Communauté de Communes du Pays de Gex (CCPG), groups 27 municipalities: Gex, Cessy (2002), Challex, Chevry, Chezery-Forens, Collonges, Crozet, Divonne-les-Bains, Echevenex, Farges, Ferney-Voltaire, Grilly (1998), Léaz, Lelex, Mijoux, Ornex, Péron, Pougny, Prévessin-Moëns, Saint-Genis-Pouilly, Saint-Jean-de-Gonville, Sauverny, Segny, Sergy, Thoiry, Versonnex, and Vesancy (2013).
The territory of the intermunicipal authority matches more or less the historical Pays de Gex, an area locked between the Jura mountain, and the border with Switzerland. Successively incorporated to Savoy, Bern, Savoy, and Geneva, Pays de Gex was eventually incorporated to France in 1601. The incorporation of Geneva to Switzerland in 1815 required, for the sake of territorial continuity, the transfer of the six municipalities of Collex-Bossy, Grand-Saconnex, Meyrin, Pregny-Chambésy, Vernier, and Versoix - then the only access of Pays de Gex to Lake Léman - to the canton of Geneva. At the same time, the Pays de Gex was made a free zone, where trade with Switzerland was tax-free.
The flag of Pays de Gex agglo is white with the authority's emblem. It is hoisted at the entrance of Fort l'Écluse, a decommissioned fortress (indeed, two fortresses connected by 981 underground steps cut in the rock) managed by the authority.
Ivan Sache, 27 August 2019