Last modified: 2020-11-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: serrejón |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Serrejón - Image by Ivan Sache, 22 March 2020
The municipality of Serrejón (409 inhabitants in 2019 vs. 1,535 in 1950; 12,415 ha; municipal website) is located 110 km north-east of Cáceres and 40 km south-west of Navalmoral de la Mata.
Serrejón was granted, together with Arroyo del Puerco (Arroyo de la Luz) and La Anguila, by King Henry II (1339-1379) to García González de Herrera, Marshal of Castile. The marshal married Estefanía Fernández, from the powerful Monroy lineage, incorporating after her death her possessions in Talaván. He then married María de Guzmán; one of their two sons, Pedro Nuñez, inherited Serrejón in 1406, which he transfered to his elder son, García de Herrera, whose daughter, Ana de Velasco Herrera, married Alonso Pimentel, Count of Benavente in the early 16th century. Their descendants kept properties in Serrejón until the end of the Civil War.
Serrejón was for long considerd as Spain's hottest town. The villagers report a record of 49.5 C in summer 1974. This record, however, could not be homlogated since there is no official weather station in Serrejón, and is considered by Extremaduran meterologists as part of the local imaginary. The genuine record is hold by Montoro (Córdoba), with a registered temperature of 47.3 C.
[ABC, 1 August 2017]
Ivan Sache, 22 March 2020
The flag and arms of Serrejón, adopted on 10 August 1990 and 25 July 1991 by the Municipal Council and validated on 7 May 1991, 28 January and 15 September 1992 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 29 October 1992 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 5 November 1992 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 87, pp. 2,436-2,437 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Composed of a green panel charged with a yellow stripe running from the hoist's upper angle to the fly's lower ange, in width 1:2 of the flag's width.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Azure a Virgin of the Olive argent, 2. Argent a Cross of the Order of the Knights of Monfragüe gules. Grafted in base. Vert a rabbit argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Serrejón is a significant place of devotion to the Virgin of the Olive, which accomplished several miracles there.
The municipal territory is partially included in the Monfragüe National Park. The Order of Monfragüe existed from 1196 to 1221, when Ferdinand III ordered its merger with the more successful Order of Calatrava.
The rabbit must recall that hunting is a main source of income in the village.
Ivan Sache, 22 March 2020