This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Etzelwang Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Etzelwang, Landkreis Amberg-Sulzbach, Bayern

Last modified: 2022-04-23 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: etzelwang | fleur-de-lis(red) | branch(raguly) | demi-millwheel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Etzelwang municipal banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 20 Apr 2022
See also:

Etzelwang Municipality

Etzelwang Banner

It is a yellow-black-yellow vertical triband. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 20 Apr 2022

Etzelwang Coat of Arms

Shield abased parted per fess, above Argent a fleur-de-lis Gules, flanked by two branches raguly Sable in pale, each having three flames Or at its tips, beneath Gules a demi-millwheel issuant Or.
The name of the municipality had been Neidstein until 1983. The partition of silver and red is taken from the arms of the Freudenberg kin. The existence of the family in the Rupprechtstein district (Bavarian: Hofmark) and the namesake castle is proven from the 14th century until 1600. The burning branches raguly are canting and taken from the arms of the Brand (= fire) family, who ruled the Neidstein district (Bavarian: Hofmark) since 1466. The sepulchre of the family is in the parish church of Etzelwang. The fleur-de-lis is taken from the arms of the Mühlholz family, patricians from Nürnberg. The family owned the Kirchenreinbach district (Bavarian: Hofmark) between 1576 and 1802. Their arms are known by tomb slabs in the church of Kirchenreinbach. The millwheel is representing the former watermills alongside the Lehenbach, a creek. Of great importance had been the paper mill of Lehenhammer, which supplied the whole Principality of Pfalz-Sulzbach with paper. Neidstein merged with Kirchenreinbach and Schmidtstadt in 1973 and was renamed in 1983.
Source: "Oberpfälzer Wappenbuch. Öffentliche Wappen der Oberpfalz", Regensburg 1991, pp.30-31
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 20 Apr 2022

Banner and arms were approved on 13 July 1984 by district governor (Regierungspräsident) of Oberpfalz.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 20 Apr 2022

back to Amberg-Sulzbach cities and municipalities click here