Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: recz |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Originally a Slavic settlement, it was conquered in 1269 by Brandenburg.
1284 - foundation of the Cisterian Order here and civic rights.
1370 to XVIII century - in possession of von Wedel family
1402 - 1454 - in hands of the Teutonic Knights
1657 - during the Swedish War, conquered by the Poles
1686 - great fire destroyed most of the town
in XIX century, a local trade center for the agricultural hinterland.
1945 - the vicious tank battle brought a 70% destruction to the town.
1945-46 - renamed "Rzeczyca, later "Recz Pomorski", but "Pomorski" was dropped soon.
The new Arms and flag adopted on February 28, 2003 (resolution # V/35/03).
"Arms: on a yellow shield a corner of the defensive walls and above
it, three red towers covered with black roofs and red balls.
On the central tower there is a small shield with the red eagle of the Brandenburgian margraves (Märkischer Adler - 'Mark's eagle) commemorating the founders of the town.
Flag: a rectangular, yellow piece of cloth in the ratio 5:8 on which
the Arms (without the shield) are placed above the blue, wavy ribbon. Blue
ribbon takes 1/8 of the total width of the flag."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 30 Jan 2009
This is the flag of the city of Recz (German: Reetz) in Choszczno county,
Zachodniopomorskie vojvodship, taken from the city's
Pascal Gross, 14 Nov 2001