Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: gorno |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Arms and flag adopted on September 7, 2003
"Arms: on Spanish-style shield divided horizontally into two fields, on the upper, red field there is a white rogacina (noble Coat of Arms - "Odrowąż"), symbol of Święty Jacek (Jacek Odrowąż - Saint Hyacinth) patron of the oldest church in the commune, in the village of Leszczyna.
On the second, lower field there is a white brick wall with the gate shut with the red grill, a symbol of Święty Wawrzyniec (Saint Lawrence) patron of the church in Górno.
Hyacinth (1185-1257) was born as a member of the influential Odrowac family at the Gross-Stein castle; joined Dominicus, possibly in Rome in 1217 or 1218, became a member of his order, and was sent to Silesia with a group of Dominicans to evangelize the area. He preached over a wide area including Scandinavia, Prussia, and Lithuania, is venerated as an apostle of Poland, and is credited with numerous miracles. He died on August 15 and was canonized in 1594. August 17.
Flag: A coloristic-tautological rendition of the Arms - two horizontal
bands - red over white with the charges from the Arms on each.
Ratio of the flag is 5:8."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 9 Nov 2008