Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: nieborow |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Nieborów was first mentioned in XIV century under the names of Nyeborowo
In XVI Century the village was owned by the Nieborowski family of the Coat of Arms "Prawda".
In 1694 it was bought by the Primate of Poland, Cardinal Michał Stefan Radziejowski, who built a baroque palace designed by Tylman from Gameren.
In 1774 it was bought by Prince Michał Hieronim Radziwiłł, who furnished the palace with the priceless furniture and works of art. His library contained over 10,000 volumes of old books and prints, mainly from the XV Century.
His wife, Helena, created then a magnificent romantic garden, which she called "Arcadia".
Radziwiłłs hosted there many of that time luminaries from all over Europe. The estate remained in the hands of Radziwiłłs until 1945, when it was nationalized by the communist government. Now it is a part (division) of the National Museum in Warsaw.
Arms and flag adopted on December 29, 2005 (resolution # XL/136/05).
"Arms: on the light-blue shield, above the golden hill and between two silver lilies are three hunterś horns, black with gold ornamentation.
Hunterś horns come from the Radziwiłłs Coat of Arms.
Flag: a rectangle in the ratio 5:8 composed of two horizontal bands:
upper - light blue, is 4/5 of the width of the flag
lower - yellow, is 1/5 of the width of the flag
In the center of the light blue field the Arms are placed."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 6 Dec 2008