Last modified: 2021-02-20 by rob raeside
Keywords: colegio de abogados de peru |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Colegio de Abogados de Lima (CAL) originates in the establishment in
1726, of the Hermandad de los Abogados (Bar Brotherhood). Closely related to the
Society of Jesus, the brotherhood was suppressed when the Jesuits were expelled
by Charles III (r. 1759-1788) in 1767.
The Colegio de Abogados was established in Lima on the model of the Madrid Colegio by Royal Order issued on 31 July 1778. The college was set up by José Antonio de Áreche (1731-1789), Intendente of the Spanish Army and Visitador General de Tribunales (Court General Inspector). He ordered on 29 September 1779 the set up of the college and asked the government to approve its Statutes. On 25 November 1779, he appointed the first Board of the college. Manuel de Guirior (1708-1788), Viceroy of Peru (1776-1780), considering his power had been challenged, nullified the college on 28 November 1779.
On 1 June 1785, Charles III ordered the establishment of the Colegio de Abogados de Lima, to no avail. Tadeo Bravo de Ribero (1754-1820), representative of Lima at the Spanish court, did not give up, so that Royal Letters signed on 31 July 1804 prescribed the establishment of a Colegio de Abogados with statutes modeled on those of the México guild.
The Lima government named a commission, composed of José Antonio Oquendo, Ambrosio Fernandez Cruz, Vicent Duárez and José Gerónimo Vivar, whose proposed statutes were approved on 18 February 1808 by the Royal administration of Lima and confirmed on 23 May 1808 by Viceroy Fernando de Abascal (in office, 1806-1816).
Approval by the king of Spain was postponed until 22 January 1811, which did not prevent the first member of the college, Manuel Herrera y Sentmanat, to register on 14 May 1808.
The early statutes clearly presented the CAL as a "corporation", placed under the royal protection and awarded the honor title of "Ilustre". Membership was limited to 60 and registration required validation by the Royal administration. For two years, the new members had to attend "without exception" all the meetings organized by the CAL to study Indian [colonial] Law. Afterwards, the member had to defend a thesis in a specific point of Indian Law, "showing doctrine and erudition, in front of all the members of the guild gathered in a general assembly".
Ivan Sache, 10 January 2021
The flag of the Colegio de Abogados de Lima is prescribed in Article 79 of
the Statutes, last amended on 6 July 2013.
"The CAL shall use, in institutional events, together with the national flag, a light blue ["aurora de aguas"] flag charged in the center with the emblem embroidered like a coat of arms.
The emblem of the Colegio de Abogados de Lima is prescribed in Article 77.
"... the emblem of the Order, which consists in a bronze star of 5 cm in diameter, with seven salient angles and a civic crown in the center, inscribed on three parallel lines with the motto: ORABUNT CAUSAS MELIUS..."
CAL Statutes, 2014
The emblem was approved by a Supreme Decree issued by President Luis José de Obergoso (in office, 1833-1836) in 1834. It was registered on 30 September 1999 with INDECOPI [Instituto Nacional de Defensa de la Competencia y de la Protección de la Propiedad Intelectual - National Institute of Defense of Competency and Protection of Intellectual Property].
The meaning of the star is unknown. It is traditionally believed that the seven points stand for the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit: wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and awe (fear) of the Lord]
The Latin motto, which reads "They will plead lawsuits better" (Virgil, Aeneid, 6:847-853) has been used on the college's seal at least since 1818.
Following the common use in Peru and other south American countries, the "ceremonial" flag for indoors use has the emblem surmounted by the college's name embroidered in golden yellow letters. On this copy of the flag, the motto is placed on a blue disc.
Ivan Sache, 10 January 2021