Last modified: 2021-05-08 by rob raeside
Keywords: plumpton | sussex |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Jason Saber, 29 November 2015
On this page:
Plumpton is a village and civil parish in the Lewes District of the Ceremonial County of East Sussex. It is also in the Traditional (Historical) County of Sussex. The village is located five miles northwest of Lewes, the county town (county Seat) of East Sussex.
Plumpton is probably best known for its Plumpton Race Course - horse racing first took place at Plumpton Racecourse in 1884 - and also Plumpton College which is one of the finest agricultural colleges in England.
The name Plumpton comes from the word "Pluntune" and is mentioned in the Domesday Book as meaning "town or settlement where plum-trees grew." At that time Plumpton had two mills and a church. The original village of Plumpton was built between St. Michael's Church and the Plumpton manor house. The manor house (which has been rebuilt many times) is first mentioned as being lived in about 1118. The original Plumpton village is rumoured to have been burnt down due to numerous deaths from the plague, and moved to where the village is now.
Pete Loeser, 1 May 2021
A flag has been created for the small Sussex town of Plumpton on the English south coast, by local residents.
The flag is divided horizontally per chevron reversed by white level crossing gates, blue over purple; centred above a white running horse, below in each corner a yellow plum.
Jason Saber, 29 November 2015