Last modified: 2020-11-14 by rob raeside
Keywords: wiltshire | swindon |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Pete Loeser, 9 November 2020
Image based in this photo located by Olivier Touzeau, 8 November 2020.
On this page:
The Borough of Swindon is a local government authority in South West England, centered on the town of Swindon and forming part of the ceremonial county of Wiltshire.
In 1974 the Thamesdown district of Wiltshire was created from the areas of the municipal borough of Swindon (created 1900) and Highworth Rural District (created 1894).
On 1 April 1997 it was made administratively independent of Wiltshire County Council, and its council became a unitary authority. The council adopted the name Swindon on 24 April 1997.
Source: Wikipedia: Borough of Swindon
Olivier Touzeau, 8 November 2020
Unusual among most modern English city websites the Borough of Swindon takes the time to provide a detail explanation of the history and background of its leadership positions and organization, including their coat of arms and shields. For those interested, it is an informative read. Here are some selected excerpts:
The complete document "The Office of Mayor - History, Civic, Legal And Social Precedence" can be downloaded as a pdf file.
- The Borough of Swindon was granted a Royal Charter by Queen Victoria in 1900 and therefore appointed its first Mayor the same year...
- The Mayor has long been recognised as being, in his or her own Borough, second only to Royalty and the Queen's Deputy, the Lord Lieutenant, but this high standing is mainly now one of honour and dignity rather than legal powers. During the Middle Ages, the Mayor, by whatever name he may have been known, seems to have held a position very similar to that of his modern successors in that he was acknowledged as head of the town, but by this time had a Council to support him. For ceremonial, sporting and other reasons, the County of Wiltshire continues even though Swindon is now, in fact a County in it's own right...
- The travelling and other personal expenses of the Lord Lieutenant are met by the Home Office. The administrative costs of the Lieutenancy are borne jointly by Wiltshire County Council and Swindon Borough Council. The Lord Lieutenant is the Queen's representative throughout the whole of the County of Wiltshire (including Swindon)...
- In 1996 the Secretary of State for the Environment supported the recommendation of the Boundary Commission and decided that, as from 1st April 1997, the Borough Council would become a Unitary Authority. Local inhabitants were asked what they would like the Borough to be called, and by a large majority "Borough of Swindon" was chosen.
The current Swindon Borough Council has a white flag with their coat of arms (1997 version) centered upon it.
Sources: A2Dominion Website and this article from The Swindonian News.
Olivier Touzeau, 8 November 2020
image provided by Olivier Touzeau, 8 November 2020
Description of the current coat of arms, from the office of the Mayor (edited):
The Coat of Arms incorporates elements of the three predecessor Arms Swindon (1900-74), Highworth (1968-74) and Thamesdown (1974-97).
At the top of the shield is a picture of King George V, the most famous engine produced in the Railway Workshops, which were a feature of the town from its early Great Western Railway days right up to the closure of the B.R.E.L. works in 1986. This represents the importance of the railway industry in the development of Swindon, and the contribution it made to communications.
The lower part of the shield is quartered with the diagonal sections mirrored. The blue quarters contain the hammers which were present in both the Swindon and Highworth Arms. All three previous Coats of Arms possessed castles, the Swindon Arms derived from the Vilett family, prominent landowners in the pre-railway period in the area later known as "New Town" and Liddington Fort and Barbury Castle from the Highworth area. On the red quarters is shown a sheaf or garb from the Highworth Arms, to signify the fertility of the area.
The Swan appeared in the Highworth Arms and was carried forward to the Thamesdown Arms. It represents the River Thames in the north of the Borough. The crown on a hill appeared in both the Highworth and Thamesdown Arms and represents the "high north" (settlement) and the green of the downs.On either side of the shield are found winged horses which are used in heraldry as symbols of wisdom, ingenuity and industry. The Pegasus or winged horse began its heraldic life as a symbol of inspiration. This is reinforced by the fact that the winged horses are breathing out flames of knowledge. Around the neck of each is suspended the crescent derived from the arms of the Goddard Family which was prominent in the Old Town Area of Swindon in the pre-railway era. The motto Salubritas et Industria (Health and Industry) comes originally from the old Swindon Arms, but was also retained in the Thamesdown era.
image provided by Pete Loeser, 8 November 2020
* On 1st April 1997, the Borough Council of Swindon became a Unitary Authority in the geographical area previously covered by the Borough of Thamesdown.
"The arms for the borough were officially granted on September 23, 1901. The Great Western Railway engine 'Lord of the Isles' speaks for itself as alluding to the industry to which Swindon owes its rise.
The three silver crescents are a prominent feature in the arms of the Goddard family, who have held the Manor of Swindon since 1560, and indicates the close connection of the Goddard Manor with the Borough of Swindon.
The three castles are likewise a prominent feature in the arms of the Vilett family, who for a long period held the Manor upon which a considerable portion of New Swindon was built. The mitre symbolises Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, who after the Norman Conquest was granted the Manor of Swindon by his half-brother, William the Conqueror.
The winged wheel denotes motion, or the swiftness of railway traveling. This quarter may be taken to represent modern Swindon. The hand holding hammers symbolizes mechanical industry, to which modern Swindon owes its position. The hammers are golden to typify the prosperity which results from all well-applied industry."
badge images located by Pete Loeser, 8 November 2020
Both the Police services and Fire and Rescue Services for the Borough of Swindon are provided by Wiltshire and Dorset County. The Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service was the county-wide emergency fire and rescue service for the ceremonial county of Wiltshire between 1948 and 2016. In 2016 the Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service was merged into the new Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service.
The Wiltshire Police, formerly known as Wiltshire Constabulary, are the territorial police force responsible for policing the county of Wiltshire, including the Borough of Swindon.
More information about both police and fire services, and their flags, can be found on the Wiltshire page.
Pete Loeser, 11 October 2020
images by Pete Loeser, 8 November 2020
Images based on this photo and this photo.
The Swindon Town Football Club is a professional football club based in Swindon. Founded as Swindon AFC in 1879, they became "Spartans" the next year, before finally settling on the name Swindon Town in 1883. The team currently competes in League One. The club has played their home matches at the County Ground since 1896. Today they are known as the "Robins", their home colours are red and white. The Swindon Town Ladies FC were established in 1993 and compete today as the Swindon Town Women Football Club (STWFC).
Pete Loeser, 8 November 2020
images by Pete Loeser, 8 November 2020
Traffic Sign Crest c1970-1986
Diamond Crest 1991-2007
Current Crest 2007-2020 (present)
images located by Pete Loeser, 8 November 2020 - SCTC Team Logos are trade marks™ of the Swindon City Football Club.