Last modified: 2021-06-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: friville-escarbotin |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Friville-Escarbotin - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 1 July 2020
The municipality of Friville-Escarbotin (4,501 inhabitants in 2018; 886 ha) is located 25 km west of Abbeville.
Olivier Touzeau, 1 July 2020
The flag of Friville-Escarbotin (photo, photo) is yellow with the municipal coat of arms, "Azure a chevron or surrounded by three hearts of the same".
In 1958, Mayor Eugène Désenclos initiated the search for a municipal coat of arms. François Danzel d'Aumont, member of the Société d'émulation historique et littéraire d'Abbeville, proposed to use the arms of the Montmignon lineage, whose three hearts could also represent the three villages of Friville, Escarbotin and Belloy. The chevron represents their original separation and eventual union.
Michel de Montmignon, a judge in the neighboring town of Amiens, acquired in 1670 the manor of Friville, built in the 15th-17th century for the d'Ailly family and sold by Joseph de Roussé, the grandson of Françoise d'Ailly and Étienne de Roussé.
In 1702, Claude de Montmignon, Michel's father, registered his arms in theArmorial Général (image). Jean-Baptiste de Montmignon, last lord of Friville, died in 1788. His arms are visible on his funerary flagstone placed in the choir of the church of Escarbotin.
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 1 July 2020