Last modified: 2019-04-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: la tour-de-salvagny |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of La Tour-de-Salvagny - Image by Ivan Sache, 7 March 2010
The municipality of La Tour-de-Salvagny (3,476 inhabitants in 2007; 852 ha; municipal website) is located 15 km west of Lyon.
La Tour-de-Salvagny developed in the 11th century around a church
fortified with a tower (in French, tour). Salvagny comes from the
Latin word silvianicus, "a clearing in the forest". The name of the
village evolved as Turris Salvagniaci (1330), La Tour de Salvagni
(1544), La Tour de Salvaginy (1573) and, eventually, La Tour de
The post house of La Tour-de-Salvagny was the last post before reaching Lyon.
Ivan Sache, 7 March 2010
The flag of La Tour-de-Salvagny (photo, February 2006), is horizontally divided red-yellow
(1:2), with a yellow griffin and a white lion facing each other in the
red stripe and a blue tower emerging from a green forest in the yellow
The flag is a banner of the municipal arms, "Or a tower azure issuant from a forest vert, a chief gules a griffin or and a lion passant crowned argent affronty".
As explained in a document produced by the secondary school of
Châtillon d'Azergues, the arms of La Tour-de-Salvagny, approved on 26 June 1989, were designed on 16 June 1987 by Jean Tricou. The tower and the forest make the arms canting. The chief recalls that the Canons-Counts of Lyon were once lords of La Tour-de-
According to Jean-Baptiste Monfalcon (Histoire de la ville de Lyon, 1847), the seal of the Canons-Counts of Lyon bore a griffin and a crowned lion affronty. The griffin, half-eagle and half-lion, represented the two parts of the town separated by river Saône, the one belonging to the German Empire (eagle) and the other one belonging to the Kingdom of France (lion for the Province of Lyonnais). The crowned lion recalls that canons of noble origins bore the title of count.
Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 7 March 2010