Last modified: 2021-01-30 by ivan sache
Keywords: quaëdypre |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Quaëdypre - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 18 November 2020
The municipality of Quaëdypre (1,112 inhabitants in 2010; 187 ha) is located south-east of Bergues.
Olivier Touzeau, 18 November 2020
The flag of Quaëdypre (photo, photo, photo, photo) is white with a rendition of the municipal coat of arms, "Argent, a lion sable a bordure gules".
The arms are reported by Th. Leuridan (Armorial des communes du département du Nord, 1909) after the "Bergues painting". This is, according to the author, a painting kept in the Bergues municipal museum and entitled Accvrata territori Bergensis et aqvaedvctvvm delineatio. This is a scale map of the feudal domain of Bergues, with representation of the villages, together with their coats of arms, and watercourses.
The painting is signed "V.B. fecit anno 1641" (Latin, V.B. made it in 1641). This is, indeed, a copy of the map engraved by E.L. Creite for Sanderus' Flandria illustrata (1641), with the very same title and the arms added. The map was also copied in Joannis Blaeu's Atlas belgicus s ve Berlgii, cum regii tum foederati, geographica descriptio, published in Amsterdam in 1680.
The Bergues painting was in a very bad state of conservation; Leuridan, however, was able to identify the arms using a magnifying lens and assigned them to the villages by comparison with the copies.
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 18 November 2020