Last modified: 2021-02-02 by ivan sache
Keywords: mérignies |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Mérignies - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 23 December 2020
The municipality of Mérignies (3,132 inhabitants in 2018; 861 ha) is located 20 km south of Lille.
Olivier Touzeau, 23 December 2020
The flag of Mérignies (photo) is white with the municipal logo, which includes a reminiscence of the municipal coat of arms, "Plumetty or and sablee.
The arms were assigned by Th. Leuridan (Armorial des communes du département du Nord, 1909) as the arms of the Tenremonde lineage, lords of Mérignies from 1440 to the French Revolution. The arms of the Tenremonde lineage are first documented in 1417.
Antoine de Tenremonde (d. 1541/1542), lord of Mérignies in 1493, was appointed Bailiff of Lille in 1488 and Bailiff of Armentières in 1500. He subsequently served as Lieutenant of the Governor of Walloon Flanders and Captain at the castle of Lille (1502), and was appointed Chamberlain by Emperor Charles V on 25 October 1520.
Philippe de Tenremonde (d. 1597), lord of Mérignies in 1590, was appointed Grand Prevost of Tournai in 1585. His son, Pierre de Tenremonde (d. 1619), was appointed Grand Prevost of Tournai in 1590-1591.
[La famille de Tenremonde]
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 23 December 2020