Last modified: 2012-04-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: ille-et-vilaine | pleurtuit | pleurestud | crown: bridge (yellow) | ship (yellow) | keys: 2 (red) | ermine (black) | garb (red);wings: 2 (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Pleurtuit - Image by Ivan Sache, 4 October 2011
The municipality of Pleurtuit (Breton, Oleurestud; 5,455 inhabitants in 2007; 2,967 ha) is located on river Rance, 10 km south of Dinard.
Pleurtuit was made an independent municipality in 1795. The villages
of Le Minihic and La Richardais became independent municipalities in
1843 and 1881, Pleurtuit then loosing half of its population.
In 1782, the shipowner Benjamin Dubois, from Saint-Servan, purchased the Montmarin Manor (malouinière) and domain, sold by the widow o Aaron-Pierre Magon du Bosq, the bankrupted builder of the manor in 1760. In 1783, he created in the domain a port and a shipyard, employing some 1,200 workers. Bougainville's ships were built there. Dubois was commissioned by the French state to open a scheduled line between France and New York, that line being the first profitable ever. The frigates operated on this line were, of course, built in the Montmarin shipyard. As a reward, King Louis XVI ennobled Dubois as Dubois du Montmarin. In 1792, Danton signed the purchase of Montmarin on behalf of the French State, hoping to create a new military port between Cherbourg and Brest. Never paid, the sale was eventually cancelled in 1798 by First Consul Napoléon Bonaparte. The Dubois, who had never left the domain, resumed their shipbuilding activity. The Continental System imposed to France stopped the shipyard, which was transformed in 1813 into a pond powering a tide mill, operated until 1917. Alexandre, Benjamin Dubois' son, closed the shipyard in 1840 and sold in 1845 Montmarin to the Baron of Breda, who squandered his wealth and abandoned the domain. In 1885, the Bazin de Jessy family purchased the domain and restored the manor. Today, the manor has 6 ha of gardens designed on four terraces dominating river Rance.
In the 19th-early 20th century, the main activity of Pleurtuit was the grande pêche on the Newfoundland banks.
The liberation of the village from the Germans by the US Army (7-12 August 1944) caused the destruction of 80% of the village.
The Pleurtuit-Dinard airport, managed by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Saint-Malo, serves East Midlands Nottingham and London Standsted (Ryanair), as well as Guernsey (Aurigny Air Services). The two maintenance companies Sabena technics and ANI Industries are also active in the airport.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 4 October 2011
The flag of Pleurtuit (photo, Town Hall) is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
The arms of Pleurtuit (municipal website), adopted in the 1970s upon request of the local shop owners, are "Quarterly, 1. Vert a sailing boat or, 2. Argent two keys gules the ward sable per saltire ensigned by an ermine spot of the third, 3. Argent a garb gules tied sable, 4. Vert two wings argent a wheel or. The shield crowned with a three-arched bridge proper. Below the shield a scroll or charged with the motto 'CAELO
MARIQUE' (Between the sky and the sea) gules".
Vert represents the sea while argent represents the sky.
The ship recalls the maritime history of the village.
The keys stand for St. Peter, the parish's patron saint, while the ermine spot stands for Brittany.
The garb represents agriculture.
The wings and the wheel symbolize the aeronautic activity.
The bridge (French, pont) recalls the canting arms of local lords, especially those of Pontbriand and Pontual.
Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 4 October 2011