Last modified: 2019-01-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: gáldar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Gáldar, as seen inside the Town Hall and on Santiago Square - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 October 2011
The flag of Gáldar is in proportions 2:3, green with three yellow stripes of equal width in the upper third and the municipal coat of arms in the bottom.
The coat of arms of Gáldar is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 26 July 1956 by the Spanish Government and published on 16 August 1956 in the Spanish official gazette. The arms are "Per fess, 1a. Gules an old crown or, 1b. Argent a lion purpure, 2. Vert a tower or charged with a Cross of Saint James three palm trees or at their base three hounds rampant proper. A bordure gules eight pairs of clubs proper paer saltire. Beneath the shield a scroll argent inscribed with the motto "Reyes o Guanartemes" in letters gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown open."
According to José Manuel Erbez (Banderas y escudos de Canarias, 2007; website), the old crown and the clubs (magados), as well as the motto, recall the native's kingdom (guanartemato) of Agáldar, the town's nameskae. The lion purpure comes form the arms of Spain. The tower symbolizes a historical local fortress while the cross is a symbol of the town's patron saint, St. James. The palm trees and the dogs come from the arms of Gran Canaria.
Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 4 October 2011