Last modified: 2017-02-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: san sebastián de los ballesteros |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of San Sebastián de los Ballesteros - Image byIvan Sache, 21 September 2015
The municipality of San Sebastián de los Ballesteros (840 inhabitants in 2013; 970 ha; municipal website) is located 30 km south of Córdoba.
San Sebastián de los Ballesteros was established on 20 January 1615, St. Sebastian's Day, by the Society of Jesus on a land known as Ballesteros y Gregorio. "Ballesteros" (Harquebushers) probably refer to the armies of the Catholic Monarchs during the Granada War.
After the expelling of the Jesuits in 1768, San Sebastián was resettled as one of the New Settlements of Sierra Morena and Andalusia, established by Royal Letters (text) signed on 5 July 1767 in Madrid by King Charles III. The document contains "instructions and the settlement charter to be applied in those [settlements] newly established in the Sierra Morena with natives and Roman Catholic foreigners". The Preamble of the Letters states that Pablo de Olavide, Knight of the Order of St. James, "Assistant" of the king in Seville and Intendent of the Army of Andalusia, is appointed Superintendant General in charge of the direction of the new settlements to be established in Sierra Morena. The king "proposes" that Juan Gaspar de Thurriégel, of Bavarian citizenship and Roman Catholic religion, introduces 6,000 Roman Catholic, German and Flemish colonists in the kingdom.
San Sebastián de los Ballesteros was resettled by 390 colonists, mostly from France and Germany but also from the neighbouring villages. The new settlement was drafted by Simón Desnaux.
The municipality of San Sebastián de los Ballesteros was established in 1822, separating from La Carlota.
Ivan Sache, 21 September 2015
The flag and arms of San Sebastián de los Ballesteros, adopted on 8 July 1993 by the Municipal Council and approved by the Royal Academy of Córdoba, are prescribed by Decree No. 153, adopted on 10 October 1995 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 29 November 1995 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 153, pp. 11,277-11,278 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The symbols are prescribed as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel in proportions 2:3, white, charged in the center with the local coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Azure the cypher of King Charles III (C III), 2. Vert an harquebus [ballesta] argent pointing to the chief. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The first quarter of the arms recalls King Charles III, the founder of the settlement. The second quarter makes the arms canting, recalling the harquebushers watching the Royal Road to Seville, which crossed hardly inhabited areas before the establishment of the village.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Córdoba]
Ivan Sache, 21 September 2015