This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Estépar (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: estépar | arenillas de muñó | quintanilla-somuñó | villagutiérrez |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:


Presentation of Estépar

The municipality of Estépar (736 inhabitants in 2010; 10,270 ha) is located 20 km of Burgos. The municipality is made of the villages of Arenillas de Muñó, Arroyo de Muñó, Estépar (capital), Hormaza, Mazuelo de Muñó, Medinilla de la Dehesa, Pedrosa de Muñó, Quintanilla-Somuñó, Vilviestre de Muñó, Villagutiérrez and Villavieja de Muñó.

Ivan Sache, 1 April 2011


Symbols of Estépar

The flag of Estépar is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 10 February 2000 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 21 February 2000 by the President of the Government, and published on 6 March 2000 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 45, p. 2,519. (text).
The flag is described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1, tricolor, red, green and white. The colors are placed horizontally, in the upper part, red , 0.45 in height, in the central part, white, 0.10 in height, wavy, in the lower part, green, 0.45 in height. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.

The Royal Academy of History recalled that the coat of arms used on the flag had been rejected by the Academy, and, therefore, refused to approve the proposed flag.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 2003, 200, 2: 169]

The coat of arms of Estépar is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 12 March 1998 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 16 March 1998 by the President of the Government and published on 3 April 1998 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 64. (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:

Coat of arms: Gules the castle of Castile (or masoned sable port and windows azure), in chief the name of "Muñó" or, in base argent three river waves, a bordure vert charged with six garbs or and five bunches of grape argent in turn except in chief. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.

Ivan Sache, 18 February 2015


Submunicipal entities

Arenillas de Muñó

[Flag]

Flag of Arenillas de Muñó - Image from the Escudos y Banderas de la Provincia de Burgos website, 10 February 2015

The castle of Arenillas de Muñó (Burgos tourism website) is made of a donjon (12 m in height) surrounded by fortified walls. The tower was probably erected at the end of the 15th century. A document of the Burgos Council, dated 1481, alludes to its "recent building"; the tower was explicitly described in 1534 as belonging to the Padilla family.

The flag and arms of Arenillas de Muñó, approved on 8 September and 20 October 2000 by the Village Council, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 28 December 2000 by the Government of the Province of Burgos, signed on 8 January 2011 by the President of the Government, and published on 22 January 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 3, p. 320 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Square, in proportions 1:1, made of two equal horizontal stripes. The upper stripe, green, an the lower stripe, red, in the center the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Gules a castle or masoned sable port and windows azure, 2. Vert a parchment argent inscribed with "1792" sable. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.

The flag uses the colour of the coat of arms, counterchanged to increase the visibility of the coat of arms.
The first quarter of the arms features the castle of Arenillas de Muñó. The colours symbolize Castile. The second quarter represents the Act of Good Government granted on 30 May 1792 to the village by the king. Green represents agriculture.

Ivan Sache, 10 February 2015


Quintanilla-Somuñó

The flag and arms of Quintanilla-Somuñó, approved on 20 December 2001 by the Village Council, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 20 April 2002 by the Village Council, signed on 3 May 2002 by the Mayor, and published on 24 May 2002 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 99, p. 6,799 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular, 1. Vertically divided. The first half, white, the second half, red. In the heart of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules the arms of Castile surmounted by four six-pointed stars or, 2. Argent a wheat spike or fimbriated vert a grapevine vert and sable. Grafted in base azure a lyre or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

Ivan Sache, 2 March 2015


Villagutiérrez

[Flag]

Flag of Villagutiérrez - Image from the Escudos y Banderas de la Provincia de Burgos website, 21 April 2015

The flag and arms of Villagutiérrez, approved on 11 October 2001 by the Village Council, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 24 January 2002 by the Village Council, signed the same day by the Mayor, and published on 7 February 2002 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 27, p. 2,056 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular, 1 on 1, vertically divided. A yellow bend in height 1/10, the upper part of the flag green and the lower red. In the center of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a sword argent charged with a shield of the same a cross patty gules in chief a tower or, 2. Vert per saltire a bunch of grapes sable leaved vert fimbriated or a yoke or charged with a sickle of the same a sheep passant. Grafted in base azure a trout and a eel argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

Ivan Sache, 21 April 2015