This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Bad Langensalza City (Germany)

Stadt Bad Langensalza, Unstrut-Hainich-Kreis, Thüringen

Last modified: 2021-03-27 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: bad langensalza | towers(3) | inescutcheons(3) | lion | pale |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Bad Langensalza city banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 25 Mar 2021
See also:

Bad Langensalza City

Bad Langensalza Banner

It is a white-red vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is slightly shifted to the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Mar 2021

Bad Langensalza Coat of Arms

Shield Gules three embattled towers Argent with cone roofs Azure topped by a ball and a flag Or each, all towers charged with inescutcheons in bend, the dexter one Or a lion rampant Sable, the central one Azure a lion rampant barry of seven of Argent and Gules crowned and armed Or, the sinister one Or two pales Azure.
Langensalza was mentioned as a town since 1222 and until 1387 a condomion of the Archbishopric of Mainz and the Landgraviate of Thüringen. In in 1485 the city became a possession of the Margraves of Meißen from the Wettin kin. The local spa began its business after 1811. In 1356 a city seal had been granted on occasion of the merger of the Altstadt (old town) with the Neustadt (new town) and the Jacobstadt (James town). The seal displayed only two towers charged with a wheel and a lion. The wheel was representing the archbishopric, which ceded the city in 1387. Since then the wheel was omitted and the Landgraves of Thüringen gained the complete control in the city. Instead three towers were displayed charged with the arms of the Margraves of Meißen at dexter, the Landgraves of Thüringen in centre and the Margraves of Landsberg at sinister. Shields in bend are a symbol of servility. The three towers are also representing the three former cities, which merged in 1356.
Source: Blaschke et alii 1979, pp.240-242
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Mar 2021

The arms are traditional and based on the seal from 1387.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Mar 2021

back to Unstrut-Hainich cities and municipalities click here