Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: oldenburg | banner of arms | bars(2) | castle | inescutcheon | towers(3) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Description of flag:
According to Stadler 1964-1971, the flag is yellow with two horizontal red stripes. The flag of the city is thus identical to that of the former (feudal not administrative) County of Oldenburg (Grafschaft Oldenburg), according also to Keyser 1939-1974.
Stefan Schwoon, 21 February and 5 April 2001
I just happened to find a photo on this webpage [link to image no longer available] showing an Oldenburg flag and one of Cornwall. The flag of Oldenburg is yellow with two red stripes and the arms in the centre. Curiously, though, the arms are rotated by 90 degrees.
Stefan Schwoon, 18 December 2001
Description of banner:
It is a yellow banner divided by two red pales. The coat of arms is slightly shifted to the top.
Source: Stefan Schwoon's database
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Dec 2013
Description of coat of arms:
In a golden (= yellow) shield is a red, embattled wall, masoned black and crowned by three red, embattled towers, masoned black with blue triangular roofs, which are topped by red balls. The central tower is bigger. The whole ensemble has black port and windows. On the port is golden (= yellow) bendy inescutcheon divided by two red fesses.
Oldenburg was the seat of the Counts of Oldenburg and gained city rights in the 13th century and was the seat of the Counts of Oldenburg. The main seal from 1307, probably already from the late 13th century, and the smaller seal of 1366 both display the castle with three towers, however without inescutcheon, which was added on the 4th seal in the 15th century. In the late 14th century, the patron saint, St. Lawrence is shown in the gate, with the arms of the counts of Oldenburg on each side. From the 16th century onwards the patron saint was removed and only the (simplified) arms of the counts are seen in the gate. The design afterwards was simplified before 1622. The current version was designed in 1927
Source: Stadler 1970, p.63
Santiago Dotor, 13 Dec 2001 and Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Dec 2013
back to Lower Saxonian counties and municipalities click here