Last modified: 2018-05-25 by kryštof huk
Keywords: zbraslav |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The town district Praha - Zbraslav is situated in the south end of Prague
near the confluence of the river Vltava and Berounka Area:
986 hectares. Zbraslav consists of two administrative regions - Zbraslav
and Lahovice with (31.12.1995) - 7,791 inhabitants. The history of Zbraslav
is closely linked with the history of the Zbraslav's monastery. The first
written references about Zbraslav are from 1115 when it belonged to the
Kladruby monastery. In 1268 King Premysl Otakar II gained Zbraslav and
built a small hunting castle there. In 1292 King Vaclav II established
a monastery assigned to the Cistercian order. The monastery soon became
the political centre of the Czech state. The monastery was damaged during
the Hussite wars and was almost completely destroyed in the thirty year
war. The era of subsequent bloom ended in 1785 when the monastery was abolished
by the Emperor Joseph II. In 1787 a sugar mill was built within the former
monastery buildings. In 1825 the Zbraslav estates were sold to the Prince
Oettingen/ Wallerstein. During his administration the whole region flourished
economically. In 1850 Zbraslav became the seat of the district council.
In 1910 Mr. Cyril Barton bought the estates. It was to his credit that
the former monastery, destroyed by industrial production, was fully reconstructed.
Today the monastery holds a part of National Gallery's collections. The
remains of last Premysl family's members were placed in St. Jacob church
in 1991. Apart from many historical monuments Zbraslav is renown by its
lovely environs and beautiful countryside.
Source: Zbraslav homepage.
Jarig Bakker, 7 Jul 2001