Last modified: 2012-12-29 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | monte mor |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
12 December 2012
Based on: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Mor
A white flag with the municipal arms in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 12 December 2012
Monte Mor was established by families coming from Itú and Porto Feliz. In 1820, the Ferreira Alves, Bicudo de Aguirre and Aguirre Camargo families offered a piece of land to build a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Patronage. The settlement was then named Capela Curada de Nossa Senhora do Patrocínio de Capivari de Cima. The parish of Nossa Senhora do Patrocínio de água Choca was established by Decree of 16 August 1832. The municipality of Monte Mor was established by Provincial Law 24 March 1871.
The flag of Monte Mor is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
The coat of arms of Monte Mor is "Vert a mullet or in base a fess way argent, a chief argent a mount sable. The shield surmounted by a mural crown argent ports sable. Below the shield a scroll argent inscribed with ' 1832 / MONTE MOR / 1871' in letters sable."
The Portuguese shield recalls the Lusitianian origin of the country
and the first Portuguese colonizers and builders who were granted
domains in the region and settled them with their families.
Vert, the heraldic name of the green colour, is a symbol of the
fertile and greening soils of the municipality, propitious to
agriculture, while the fess wavy argent represent river Capivari,
meandering through the region, as well as the abundance of water
provided by streams, rivers and brooks, which contributed to attract
and fix humans in the region.
The golden star placed in the greening fields is a symbol of safe
guide, aspiration to highness and sublime acts, auguring a promising
future to the inhabitants, under the protection of the patron saint,
Our Lady of the Patronage, recalling the early chapel of Our Lady of
the Patronage of Capivari of Cima. Or, the most noble heraldic metal,
is a symbol of justice, benignity, clemency and prosperity.
Argent is a symbol of friendship of friendship, equity and justice.
The black mount ("monte") depicted in chief is a graphic
representation of the municipality's name and topography - the
municipal territory terraces between 500 and 650 m above the sea
level. Sable (black) is a symbol of prudence, wisdom, honesty and
The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation. The open ports
are a symbol of hospitality.
The years "1832" and "1871" recall the establishment of the district
(16 August 1832) and of the municipality (24 March 1871), respectively.
http://www.montemor.sp.gov.br/index.php/brasao - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 15 December 2012
image by Ivan Sache, 15 December 2012
The coat of arms shown on Wikipedia is an artist's view of the first
draft of the coat of arms, which was corrected by the "Atelier
Heráldico" upon request of the municipal administration. The mural
crown was redrawn and recoloured argent instead of or.
While the corrected coat of arms is used on the municipal website, the flag
with the old coat of arms seems to be still used, as seen on photos:
Ivan Sache, 15 December 2012