Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | matão |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
6 December 2012 and Ivan Sache, 24 January 2013
Based on: http://www.matao.sp.gov.br (image behind menu) and http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Matao_Bandeira.jpg
A blue-white-blue descending diagonal triband with the municipal arms on the white stripe.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 6 December 2012
Matão was founded as Arrail do Senhor Bom Jesus das Palmeiras. The erection of a chapel was decided on 13 February 1892 in a meeting held in Colonel João de Almeida Leite Moraes' house. The land was offered by José Inocêncio da Costa. The first house in the new settlement was built by Angelo Maccagnan. The first mass was celebrated in the chapel on 25 March 1895, which is considered as the date of foundation of the town. The municipality of Matão was established by State Law No. 567 of 27 August 1898, seceding from Araraquara, and inaugurated on 28 March 1899.
Photos of the flag
The coat of arms is "A Portuguese shield argent a pall sable cantonned with three trees proper. The shield surmounted by a four-towered crown or. The shield supported by two branches of coffee fructed proper. Beneath the shield a scroll inscribed with the municipality's name surrounded by the dates '25-03-1895' and '27-08-1898' in letters argent."
The Portuguese shield, adopted by most of the Brazilian
municipalities, especially in São Paulo State, is linked to the
discovery and colonization of Brazil.
Argent is a symbol of triumph, representing the progress of the
municipality and the history of its people.
The pall sable represents the streets, recalling the Matão, through
its geographical location, is virtually linked to all the points of
the national territory, which is roughly triangular in shape, and
therefore, perfectly integrated.
The three quarters represent the elements of the trinity at the origin
of the municipality: the pioneers, the Cross of Christ, and coffee.
The trees represents the forests ("matas") that covered the region at
the time of development of the municipality and the origin of its name.
The mural crown is a conventional symbol for a municipality.
The branches of coffee recall the main source of income of the
The scroll gules is a symbol of greatness and value, and recalls the
cloak of the patron saint of the town, Jesus Christ. The dates on the
scroll recall the celebration of the first mass and the establishment
of the municipality, respectively.
Ivan Sache, 24 January 2013