Last modified: 2013-04-27 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | ipuã |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 12 April 2013
Ipuã was founded on 25 April 1859 as Sant’ana dos Olhos d’Água. The
town was renamed Ipuã by State Decree-Law no. 14,334 of 30 November
The municipality of Ipuã was established by State Law No. 233 of 24
December 1948 and inaugurated on 26 March 1949.
http://www.camaraipua.sp.gov.br - Website of the Municipal Council
The flag of Ipuã is white with a yellow-green / green-yellow cross. In the middle of the flag is placed a white disk charged with the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms, symbolizing the fighting spirit of the people, has
the shape of an inverted bell. The seven points in its upper border
stands for the seven letters of the name of the town's patron saint,
"SANT'ANA" (St. Ann). The point in the base of the shield represents
the support of St. Ann's altar.
The shield has a red outer border, representing the land, and an inner
blue border, representing water; the two borders allude to the name
of the municipality, which means "water gushing forth from the land"
The shield is divided by two bends sinister, green on the left and
yellow on the right, which symbolize emancipation.
In the middle of the shield, a torch, the genuine symbol of patriotic
love, delivers a S-shaped flame. In the upper left part, a smoking
chimney symbolizes the beginning of industrialization of the town. In
the lower right part, a soybean with a leaf symbolizes agriculture.
The central port of the tower surmounting the shield is charged with a
cross symbolizing the Christian faith.
The shield is supported by two wings, symbolizing the search for
elevation, development and progress, and honouring the inventive
genius of Santos-Dumont.
Beneath the shield, a scroll is inscribed with the municipality's name
and its date of political emancipation (26-3-1949).
http://www.camaraipua.sp.gov.br/brasao.html - Website of the Municipal Council