Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | colina | coat of arms |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Joseph McMillan and Ivan Sache
The flag is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,300 of 18 November 1986.
Designed by Everton de Souza Cunha, winner of a public contest, the flag
is the coat of arms on a white field.
The coat of arms was designed by the artist Vítor Martins and adopted
by Municipal Law No. 660 of 4 June 1970. It is divided quarterly: (1)
red with a sword and laurel wreath, signifying command (this is also
the principal charge in the State coat of arms); (2) blue with
inescutcheons of Portugal [a red cross on green] and of the Italian
tricolor flag stripes, for the principal origins of the colonists who
settled Colina; (3) silver with a sun rising behind a green hill ( in
Portuguese, "colina"), for the origin of the name of the town; (4)
yellow with Mercury's cap and a gear-wheel, for commerce and industry.
The shield is flanked with branches of coffee and corn and ensigned
with a mural crown, symbol of a municipality. Below the shield is a
white scroll inscribed with "COLINA - 1926" (the year of establishment
of the municipality).
http://www.colina.sp.gov.br/index.php?xvar=mostra&id_grupo=4Q - Municipal website
Joseph McMillan, 2 April 2003 and Ivan Sache, 1 January 2013
Colina was founded by Colonel José Venâncio Dias, owner of the Colina
Estate. The district of Colina was established on 7 February 1917.
The municipality of Colina was established by State Law No. 2,096 of
24 December 1925 and inaugurated on 21 April 1926.
http://www.colina.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 1 January 2013