Last modified: 2012-02-10 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | andré da rocha |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
A white flag with the municipal arms centred.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 24 December 2011
The municipality of André da Rocha (1,266 inhabitants in 2007, therefore
one of the least populated municipalities in the State; 322 sq. km) is
located in northeastern Rio Grande do Sul.
André da Rocha was founded by Law No. 32 of 8 November 1904 as a district part of the municipality of Lagoa Vermelha; at the time, the district included only eight dwellings and a chapel. André da Rocha was made an independent municipality by Municipal Law No. 8,629 of 12 May 1988. The municipality is named for Manoel André da Rocha (1860-1942), appointed in 1890 the first judge at the Commerce Court of Lagoa Vermelho and the founder of the original district. Manoel André da Rocha was appointed in 1934 Director of the newly founded University of Porto Alegre, subsequently transformed into the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul. He served also as the Head of Police, Procurator General and President of the Supreme Court of Rio Grande do Sul.
http://www.mp.rs.gov.br/memorial/exprocurador?id=9 - Complete biography of Manoel André da Rocha
The coat of arms of André da Rocha is quartered per saltire. The upper quarter is "Azure the Vigia hill vert", the hill being an historical place of the municipality. The left quarter is "Argent a bovine proper", cattle-breeding being one of the sources of income for the municipality. The right quarter is "Argent a soybean plant proper", soybean being another source of income for the municipality. The lower quarter is "Azure a 'coxilha' planted with pines", this being the usual landscape of the municipality. A 'coxilha' is a hill isolated in the middle of flat lands. Such hills are also common in Uruguay and Argentina, where they are known as 'cuchillas'.
The shield is surmounted with a rising sun or, symbolizing the emergence of a new municipality, and flanked by two flags vert hoisted on a spear sable, representing the legislative and executive powers in the municipality. Below the shield is placed a scroll gules charged with the writing sable "André da Rocha - 12- 05-1988", the date of the foundation of the municipality.
Ivan Sache, 8 January 2012