Last modified: 2008-08-09 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | quatro irmãos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by António
Martins-Tuválkin, 18 August 2007
Based on: http://www.quatroirmaos.rs.gov.br/portal1/municipio/hino_brasao.asp?iIdMun=100143490 (no longer available)
The flag is vertically divided 2:3, with the hoist side panel dark blue and
the fly side panel filled with 11 horizontal stripes, orange and white, the
former slightly thicker. Over all a white vertically elongated ellipse with the
full coat of arms and at the upper hoist a vertical row of four orange
The coat of arms is an oginal shield with four orange five-pointed stars on a blue chief, which blends into a an orange background. This is the sky for a farming scene, complete with cow, fence and tractor. Mural crown with three visible towers, shield flanked by an ear of wheat at dexter and maize at sinister, and scroll orange scroll with motto "Quatro Irmãos - 1996" in blue san serif capitals.
"Quatro irmãos" means "four brothers" and probably the four stars stand for them. According to http://www.quatroirmaos.rs.gov.br/portal1/municipio/historia.asp?iIdMun=100143490, these were four brothers of the Santos Pacheco family, who owned a lot of local estate in 1909. Their land was brought in 1909 by the Jewish Colonization Association and the first colonizers arrived in 1911, coming from Argentina, and later from Bessarabia and other parts of Russia. The community thrived and attracted other immigrants till after WWII, when the local araucaria sawmills closed and the economy collapsed. Quatro Irmãos become an almost abandoned town but was revived in the late 1990ies. More at http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatro_Irm%C3%A3os.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 18 August 2007