This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Paz Castillo (Miranda, Venezuela)

Municipio Paz Castillo

Last modified: 2017-09-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: miranda | paz castillo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:


Overview

The municipality of Paz Castillo (112,357 inhabitants in 2011; 408 sq. km) is located in the center west of the State of Miranda. The municipality is made of a single parish, the town of Santa Lucía.
Valle de Pariagüan de Santa Lucía was established on 23 January 1621 by Lieutenant General Pedro José Gutiérrez de Lugo and Father Gabriel de Mendoza, in a territory originally settled by the Mariche and the Quiriquire. On 23 March 1731, Father Marcos Reyes Cueto set the cornerstone of the church of the relocated settlement, which was eventually established in 1751.
Santa Lucía is the birth town of Francisco Silvestre Espejo (1758-1814). Member of the Caracas Patriot Society in 1810-1811, Espejo was among the signatories of the Act of Independence of Venezuela (5 July 1811), and served as President of the Second Republic, jointly with Cristóbal Mendoza and Baltasar Padrón (1812). Espejo was eventually captured, sentenced to death and shot by the Spaniards in Valencia.
The municipality is named for Lieutenant Colonel Blas Paz Castillo (1780-1814), who commanded the patriot infantry of at the battle of Urica (5 December 1814), where he was killed.
Source: http://www.pazcastillo.gob.ve/ - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 25 July 2015


The Flag

The flag of Paz Castillo is horizontally divided blue-red-white. In the center of the red stripe is placed the municipal coat of arms, surmounted by six white stars forming an arch.
The flag was designed by Juan Luis Hidalgo, student at the Santa Lucía del Tuy institute. Blue represents river Guaira, one the main source of water for the settlement and its development. Red is a symbol of the blood shed in 1814 by Francisco Espejo and in 1821 and by the patriot army in the battle of Macuto (14 June 1821),  fought 10 days before the decisive battle of Carabobo (24 June 1821). White represents peace and the word "Paz" (Peace), recalling the municipality's namesake, Blas Juan Paz Castillo.
The six stars represent the six imaginary axes that structure the municipality: Soapire Alto, Soapire Bajo, Casco del Pueblo, El Nogal, La Lagunita, Siquire and Santa Rita. The designer's original proposal included seven stars, but the jury required to drop one of them to march the number of axes.
Ivan Sache, 25 July 2015


Coat of Arms

The coat of arms is made of a parchment surrounded by two columns. The upper left quarter, blue, features the St. Lucy parish church. The upper right quarter, white, features a landscape representing the green fields of Paz Castillo. The lower quarter, red, features the patron saint, St. Lucy. The two columns represent the foundations of the village and the church.
Source: http://www.pazcastillo.gob.ve/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=40&Itemid=78 - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 25 July 2015