Last modified: 2017-09-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: miranda | baruta |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Raul Orta, 01 April 2004
The municipality of Baruta (318,412 inhabitants in 2010; 86 sq. km) is
located in the south-east of Caracas, being part of the Caracas Metropolitan
District. The municipalities is made of the three Parishes of Baruta (211,841
inh.; 73 sq. km), El Cafetal (55,130 inh.; 9 sq. km) and Las Minas (51,441 inh.;
4 sq. km).
Baruta is named for the native word, "baruta", used to designate the sandbox tree ("Hura crepitans" L.), once very common in the area, especially in the Jabillo (the Spanish name of the tree) area. Baruta was also the name of the famous cacique who ruled the area and, according to some historians, surrendered to the Spanish conquerors, after having realized that the natives would never defeat them with stones and arrows. On 20 March 1568, Diego de Lozada granted to Captain Alonso Andrea de Ledesma a big domain, where he was expected to convert the Indians to the Christian religion and to teach them how to read and write. The grant was validated by the Caracas Government on 20 February 1582, which is considered as the foundation date of Baruta. The first colonial settlement was established on 19 August 1620, as San Francisco de Paula, being the first significant settlement set up south-east of Caracas. The church of the town of Nuestra Señora del Rosario de Baruta was consecrated on 14 July 1655 by Francisco de La Hoz y Berrío, Governor of the province, and Gonzalo de Angulo, Bishop of Caracas. Coffee, sugarcane and cocoa were grown on the big estates of La Guairita, Manzanares, La Trinidad and Las Mercedes, which were subsequently (1940-1950) the nuclei of the most important urban settlements in the municipality. The urbanization process was favoured by the building of the road connecting Caracas to Baruta and El Hatillo (1937-1929).The municipality of Baruta was established on 22 September 1987 by the Legislative Assembly of the State of Miranda.
Ivan Sache, 25 July 2015
The following is a note of press appeared on May 31st, 2003 in
the page of Globovisión - A Exclusive News Venezuelan TV Channel
-, about the flag of the Mirandian Municipality of Baruta:
"Baruta instituted as official symbol of the Municipality a flag created by a girl of thirteen years old, winner of the contest "A Flag for my Municipality". The flag which completes the three official municipality symbols, was hoisted on El Cristo Square in the center of Baruta with the presence of the State and Municipality authorities. Yoana Carolina Martinez, winner of the contest, explained the symbollogy of the flag: "the blue stripe represents the small rivers and lakes of Baruta; the yellow one is the gold that was obtained in San Ignacio river and the green stripe is all the vegetation that has the Municipality; the coffee plant crown that has the emblem on the center represents the cultivation of coffee in the ancient estate of Baruta; the sun is the birth of a new municipality; the green rays are the faith and the hope, the yellows ones are the prosperity and wealth, and the blue rays represents the freedom and the peace which everybody wants for our municipality and for all Venezuela. During the act also was made a tribute to Innocent Carreņo musician author of the anthem of the municipality granting to him the Order Municipality of Baruta. In the contest "A Flag for my Municipality", organized by the Commission of Culture and Sports of the Municipal Council, participated public and private schools of the municipality. A jury conformed by personalities of the municipality chose between 44 flags the one conceived by Yoana. Secondly were the children of the Municipal School Barbaro Rivas who the last year were promoters of the project".
For the proposals see <www.baruta.gov.ve>. Capital: Nuestra Señora del Rosario.
Pablo Acosta Ríos (translated by Raul Orta), 07 August 2003
The flag of Baruta is horizontally divided blue-yellow-green with an emblem -
different form the municipal coat of arms - in the middle. The flag, selected in
a public contest organized by the Commission of Education, Culture and sports of
the Municipal Council, is prescribed by Agreement No. 24, adopted on 15 May 2003
by the Municipal Council.
The blue stripe represents the immensity of the sky, a symbol of liberty and purity, as well as the lagunas, rivers and sources. The yellow stripe represents the main source of income for the municipality, gold washed from the San Ignacio source. The green stripe represents hope and the abundance of vegetation, especially El Jabillo, considered as Caracas' green lung. The emblem is surrounded by a wreath of coffee trees, representing the crop once so common in the local estates and the union of all Venezuelan municipalities. Inside the wreath is featured a sun, symbolizing the birth of a new day, with rays illuminating the earth with hope, faith, prosperity, wealth, liberty and peace. Beneath the sun are represented green woods.
The flag charged with the municipal coat of arms in canton will be used only in public acts attended by the Mayor and on municipal buildings.
Source: http://www.alcaldiadebaruta.gob.ve/v2/la-bandera/ - Municipal website
On the flag in use, the central emblem does not reach the blue and green stripes as represented on the drawing.
Ivan Sache, 25 July 2015
The coat of arms of Baruta, designed by Kristine Vitols de Klisans, is made
of a sea blue shield divided into three quarters outlined in yellow.
The upper left quarter features the building of the Simón Bolívar University, once the Sartenejas coffee estate, superimposed by a yellow book inscribed with the motto "Te recomiendo la aplicación del estudio, la buena moral, para que algún día puedas ser útil a la patria" (I recommend you commitment to study and good moral, which will be soon or late useful to the homeland), credited to Simón Bolívar [not shown on the image].
The upper right quarter features a sun rising between two mountains, reflecting the emergence of the new municipality and its geographical characteristics. The chief of the two upper quarters is charged with a wreath of coffee leaves and a white horizontal scroll inscribed "1582" (left, recalling the establishment of the village of Baruta on 20 February 1582) and "1990" (right, recalling the establishment of the new municipality of Baruta on 4 January 1990). The lower quarter, filling the whole base of the shield, features the Nuestra Señora del Rosario church and the configuration of the historical downtown of Baruta.
The shield is surmounted by a yellow scroll inscribed "MUNICIPIO DE BARUTA" in black letters. THe scroll forms an arch, modelled on the main gate of the aforementioned church.
Ivan Sache, 25 July 2015