Last modified: 2015-08-22 by rick wyatt
Keywords: arcanum yacht club | brooklyn motor boat club | united states yacht club | new york |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 16 May 2015
The Arcanum Yacht Club is listed in Lloyd's Register of American Yachts, 1912, as organised in 1805 [sic] and incorporated in 1906; its station is given as: Cropsey Avenue, Bay 32d Street, Bath Beach, Brooklyn, N.Y. The club sailed
and raced on the Gravesend Bay.
Its burgee is drawn as a ca. 2:3 red triangle, divided by a somewhat diagonal very dark blue stripe fimbriated white, the top of its hoistward outer border being the top hoist corner. On the stripe a five-pointed white star, a quarter of the hoist in height.
It appears the club was originally known as the "Royal Arcanum Yacht Club", though the "Royal" wasn't always used to start with. This name was still in use by 1910, but it appears that in that year the club dropped the "Royal" and became the "Arcanum Yacht Club". The Brooklyn Daily Eagle of 1 November 1917 reports that the club had at some point changed its name from "Royal Arcanum Yacht Club" to just "Royal Arcanum Yacht Club", but had now changed it to "Brooklyn Motor Boat Club".
As the Brooklyn Motor Boat Club, the club used the same burgee. Lloyd's still listed the club in 1929, but by 1963 it had been dropped. Between the AYC's erstwhile address and the waterfront is now the Belt Parkway, and that waterfront itself is wasted on a shopping centre.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 19 May 2015