Last modified: 2015-05-09 by rick wyatt
Keywords: united states | bureau of insular affairs |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Tom Gregg, 12 May 2002
Field & Boat Flag, Chief of the Bureau of Insular Affairs (BIA), 1931: The Division of Customs and Insular Affairs was established in 1898 for overseas territories under military administration. Initially it was a joint War Department-State Department agency, but in 1902 it was placed under the War Department as the Bureau of Insular Affairs. In 1939 it was transferred to the Department of the Interior and ceased to be a military agency.
The branch insignia for the BIA, authorized in 1902, consisted of six arrows, crossed and point up, over a pair of wings, all in gold. The BIA branch color was dark blue. General officers of the staff assigned to the BIA were authorized field and boat flags with the field in dark blue and the branch insignia in yellow. For a major general, rank was indicated by two white stars flanking the insignia; for a brigadier general one star was placed over the insignia.
Tom Gregg, 12 May 2002