Last modified: 2018-02-09 by rick wyatt
Keywords: bal harbour | florida | miami-dade county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Al Kirsch, 1 August 2017
The Village of Bal Harbour has a new flag.
Al Kirsch, 1 August 2017
Bal Harbour adopted its new flag on August 31, 2016. It was unveiled at a public ceremony at Founders Circle on August 31, 2016, the flag encompasses the new Bal Harbour logo, colors and brand. The Bal Harbour Police Department (official website:
balharbourpolice.org) Color Guard presented the flag to residents and Village officials before it was hoisted up the flag pole. It was part of the 70th anniversary celebration.
Since the 1920s, the Detroit-based Miami Beach Heights Corporation – headed by industrialists Robert C. Graham, Walter O. Briggs, and Carl G. Fisher – owned 245 acres (0.99 km2) of undeveloped, partially swampy land that stretched from the bay to the Atlantic. Mr. Graham assumed the duties as the developer for Bal Harbour. In the 1930s, city planners Harland Bartholomew & Associates were called in to design the Village. The company made several plans and they were submitted to the Miami Beach Heights for review.
The original name chosen for Bal Harbour was Bay Harbour. However, the planning committee didn't think that was appropriate for a city that was on the beach. A name was invented to encompass a village that ran from the bay to the Atlantic Ocean. The "b" was taken from the word bay and the "a" and "l" were taken from the name Atlantic. Hence the word "Bal" was created.
In 1940, World War II began and the plans were put on hold. As a goodwill gesture to the government, Robert C. Graham rented the land to the United States Air Corps for $1 per year. The Air Corps used this land to train their soldiers and established a Prisoner of War camp. The ocean front area was used as a rifle range and the barracks were set up on the west side of Collins Avenue. The camp for prisoners was located where the Bal Harbour Shops are presently.
In 1945, the war was over in both Germany and Japan. The Air Corps left the barracks buildings as a thank you to the owners of the property. These barracks were converted into apartment homes by Mr. Graham in 1946.
In order to incorporate a city in 1946, there had to be at least 25 male registered voters residing in the area. Mr. Graham had twenty five families move into the apartment homes that he had converted in order to qualify the Village for incorporation. He then hired Willard Webb, a Miami Beach tax assessor, to draft a charter for the Village. After the charter was completed, the Village of Bal Harbour was ncorporated on August 14, 1946, by Mr. Graham and 25 male registered voters. The Village was operated under the city manager form of government."
"We're very proud of our new flag. It highlights the bright blue Atlantic Ocean and Biscayne Bay that Bal Harbour resides between and the white sand beach that draw residents and tourists from all over the world to our little piece of paradise," said village manager
Jorge. M. Gonzalez.
Sources: www.balharbourfl.gov (page 7 of the October 2016 Bulletin) ,
For additional information go to Bal Harbour (official website): www.balharbourfl.gov/
Esteban Rivera, 1 August 2017
image located by Al Kirsch
The town letterhead looks exactly like the flag. The flag reads "Bal Harbour, Florida's Paradise". There's a palm tree between the a and the r in "Harbour". The British spelling (vs U.S. "Harbor") means they can charge higher rents.
Al Kirsch, 6 March 2002
Bal Harbour, Bay Harbor Islands and Surfside form a single ZIP (postal) code and school district.
Al Kirsch, 6 March 2002