This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Danbury, Connecticut (U.S.)

Fairfield County

Last modified: 2019-07-23 by rick wyatt
Keywords: danbury | connecticut | fairfield county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[flag of Danbury, Connecticut] image by Peter Orenski, 25 August, 2010

See also:

Description of the flag

A dark blue flag with the city seal centered, city name written in an arch above, state name below, in gold.

Danbury is a city in Fairfield County, Connecticut, United States. It has an estimated population of 78,736. The city was named for the place of origin of many of the early settlers, Danbury, Essex in England. The city has been nicknamed Hat City, because it used to be a center of the hat industry, at one point producing 25% of America's hats." - from Wikipedia:,_Connecticut.

The flag is white with seal in the center, words "CITY OF DANBURY" over it and words "DANBURY CONNECTICUT" below it. You can see it here:

Valentin Poposki, 7 December 2008

City seal

[City seal] image located by Paul Bassinson, 5 June 2019

Paul Bassinson, 5 June 2019

The City Seal of Danbury, Connecticut, displays:
Wooster Monument (Wooster Cemetery - American Revolution)
Steam engine (symbol of city's industrial background)
Flames under eagle (Danbury burned during Revolution)
Hat (Hat City U.S.A.)
PERGE MODO "Now go forward/Let us go on"
RESTITUIMUS "We have restored" (after Revolution burning)

From we find:

Governor Morgan Bulkeley, on April 19, 1889, signed the document making the City of Danbury official, plans were almost immediately initiated to draft a city seal. Alderman James Walsh made the suggestion in May of that year and Henry Hoyt, a member of the committee, came up with the design.

A locomotive, depicting the railroad line established in 1852 is shown on the left side of the shield within the outer ring. On the right side is a stand of elm trees, in reference to Elmwood Park, and below the trees is water, symbolizing the flood caused by the breaking of the Kohanza Reservoir dam in 1869. A derby hat, symbolizing the City's hat manufacturing industry, is in the upper right hand corner of the shield. In the lower left is the Wooster Monument.

There are two references on the seal to the British burning of Danbury in 1777. The central motto, on a diagonal band which divides the seal, is "Restituimus" or "We have Restored". Underscoring this point, atop the shield, is a phoenix rising from a fiery crown. The bird has in its beak a second motto, "Perge Modo", translated from the Latin as "Ever Onward" or Let Us Go Forward".

The outer circle has the words "Seal of the City of Danbury, incorporated 1889".
Peter Orenski, 21 August 2010