Last modified: 2020-07-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: taiwan | china | asia | peng-hu | hsien |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by António Martins-Tuválkin, 12 December 2006
P'eng-hu County (92,489 inhabitants in 2005; 141.052 sq. km) is made of group of some 90 islands, formerly known as Pescadores (Fishers' islands) scattered in the Taiwan Strait, between Taiwan and continental China. The County is made, from North to South, of Paisha / Bai-sha Township, Hisyu / West Isle Township, Huhsi / Hu-xi Township, Magong / Ma-gong City, Wangan / Wan-an Township and Cimei / Chimay Township. More than half of the population of the county lives in Magong City.
The name of P'eng-hu appeared during the Song dynasty's rule, while the first mention of settlement in the islands dates back to the Nan- Song dynasty (1225). The archipelago became a den of pirates and robbers, with some limited attempts of reconquest by the Chinese government. On 12 July 1604, P'eng-hu was settled by a three Dutch vessels bringing soldiers and traders, who set up a post. The Dutch were expelled in 1624 and a fort was built, served by artillery and 3,000 soldiers.1
The county flag is shown on the P'eng-hu County website, with the following description of the emblem:
The county badge is explained in depth on another page of the county website:
*The "famous big bridge" is the P'eng-hu Trans-Oceanic Bridge connecting Baisha and Siyu, the longest bridge in Taiwan (2,494 m).
Ivan Sache, 4 May 2008