This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Kozluk (District Municipality, Turkey)

Last modified: 2022-11-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: kozluk |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag] image by Tomislav Šipek, 26 September 2021

See also:

Presentation of Kozluk

The municipality of Kozluk (61,437 inhabitants in 2018, 24,131 in the town of Kozluk; 11,680 ha) is located 60 km north-east of Batman.

Ivan Sache, 29 September 2020

Flag of Kozluk

The new flag depicts the sun behind a castle inside a dark blue crescent.

Tomislav Šipek, 26 September 2021

Mayor Ayhan Eren explained that the Malabadi bridge was removed from the logo due to its registration on the Diyarbakır Cultural Inventory. The tobacco leaves were removed because of the decrease of tobacco cultivation in the municipality.
The new logo is surrounded by a crescent and a star, the symbols of independence and of the Republic. It features Kozluk castle, the Silk Road, and fertile lands.
Municipal website

Kozluk (Hazo) castle was built in 416 on a rocky hill as a religious center of the Persian dynasty. With time, it exerted a strategic control on the Silk Road crossing the region. The seat of a Nestorian bishopric in the 5th century, the castle was seized in 630 by İyaz bin Ganm (582-641), the companion of Prophet Muhammad who subsequently conquered Southeast Anatolia (Cezire), during the reign of Caliph Omar.
Turkey Culture Portal

Ivan Sache, 26 September 2021

Previous flag

[Flag] image by Ivan Sache, 29 September 2020

The flag of Kozluk (photo, photo) is white with the municipality's emblem. "Belediyesi" means "Municipality".
The emblem features Malabadi Bridge spanning over river Batman, here the border between the provinces of Diyarbakır and Batman, also featured on the symbols of the municipality of Silvan.

The Malabadi bridge across the Batman River on the road between Silvan and Tatvan was built by Timur Tas of Mardin between 1146 and 1147. It was restored in the late 12th century, and recently in the beginning of the 20th century.
It was once the only bridge across the river in this area, and was in continuous use until the 1950's, when a new road bridge opened upstream. The span of the bridge crosses perpendicular to the river, but the roadway is at an angle to the river, so there are angular breaks in the east and west approaches. The approaches rise from ground level to meet the central span, which is a pointed arch high over the deepest part of the river. Constructed from solid masonry, the approaches have small arches built into them to let flood-waters through. Two of the piers of the bridge sit in the river; the western support is decorated with two carved figures, one standing and one sitting. The roadway has two toll-booths, one either side of the main span. The spandrels of the main arch incorporate small rooms for weary travelers.

Ivan Sache, 29 September 2020