Last modified: 2019-05-18 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: chalatenango | tejutla |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Fred Drews, 16 March 2019
Tejutla has been inhabited since the Vth century, mainly by the Chortí (Ch'orti')
(English: Chorti). It was originally settled in a place called Las Mataras.
Tejula means "place of hot coals", or "hot city". Over time it has had various names such as Texutla and Santo Tomás Texutla (English: St.Thomas of Texutla).
In 1749 it was declared a curato (English: parish) and in 1786 it was declared a Partido (English: Part) and finally granted the title of Villa (English: Village) in 1824.
Sources: https://www.chalatenangosv.com/tejutla and
image contributed by Fred Drews, 16 March 2019
image by Fred Drews, 1 April 2018
image contributed by Fred Drews, 1 April 2018
image by Fred Drews, 8 August 2008
image contributed by Fred Drews, 8 August 2008