This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Mníšek nad Hnilcom (Slovakia)

Gelnica okres, Košice region

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: mnisek nad hnilcom |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Mnisek nad Hnilcom flag] by Jarig Bakker, 14 Feb 2004 See also:

Mníšek nad Hnilcom flag

Image according to the Heraldický Register Slovenskej Republiky III, 2003 - Mníšek nad Hnilcom, Gelnica district, Košice region - adopted 25 Nov 1997.
Jarig Bakker, 14 Feb 2004

Mnisek nad Hnilcom was originally called Einsiedel, the full German name for the town was Einsiedel an der Gollnitz, the last word referring to the Gollnitz (Slovak Hnilec) River which flows through the town.  The Hungarian name was Remete or Szepesemete, where Szepes is the name of the county Zips in German, Spis in Slovak.  Founded around 1255, as early as 1322 the town was a gold-mining settlement belonging to the larger town of Gollnitz (Gelnica).  In 1465 it was acquired by Spis castle, not far to the northeast, and continued existence as a mining town of some size.  In the 18th and 19th century Einsiedel had several mines, water and steam driven hammers (blacksmith shops), a steel foundry, and a mining office.
William J. Theiss, 20 Aug 2006

Mníšek nad Hnilcom Coat of Arms

[Mnisek nad Hnilcom Coat of Arms] image sent by William J. Theiss, 14 Feb 2004. It is based on a seal dated 1584; The lady is St. Catherine.

In accordance with seal from year 1705:
There are little 2 silver mine hammers in saltire on a red shield with an  8-pointed golden star at the top, golden sun on the right side, a golden moon on left side, and under the hammers a golden rose.
William J. Theiss, 20 Aug 2006