This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Sainte-Rose (Municipality, Reunion, France)

Last modified: 2009-06-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: sainte-rose | rose (white) | ship (black) | volcano (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Sainte-Rose]

Flag of Sainte-Rose (details unconfirmed) - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 8 February 2009

See also:

Presentation of Sainte-Rose

The municipality of Sainte-Rose (6,664 inhabitants; 17,760 ha) is the easternmost municipality of the island, of France and of the European Union. The hyperactive volcano Piton de la Fournaise (2,631 m asl) is partially located on the municipal territory and floods it from time to time with lava. In April 1977, the village of Piton-Sainte-Rose was crossed by the lava, which destroyed 30 houses and partially invaded the church before reaching the sea.

In 1671, Governor Jacob de la Haye, together with a named Caron, moored in a place immediatly called Port-Caron. A few years later, a named La Rose built a port called "Quai La Rose". Official settlement of the place started in 1727, "Quai La Rose" being a borough of the municipality of Sainte-Suzanne; in 1733, Quai La Rose was transferred to the new municipality of Saint-Beno&icicrc;t. Sainte-Rose took its current name in 1790, when made an independent municipality. In 1809, the English invaded the island and experienced their only defeat in Sainte-Rose.
In spite of the development of sugarcane and coffee cultivation, the municipality remained isolated because of the difficult crossing of the Eastern River. In 1894, the building of a metallic suspension bridge allowed the development of Sainte-Rose, where four sugarmills were operated until 1962.

Source: website

Ivan Sache, 11 February 2009

Flag of Sainte-Rose

The flag of Sainte-Rose is white with the municipal arms (and, maybe, additional writing).

The coat of arms of Sainte-Rose is "Per fess, 1a. Gules a rose argent fructed sable, 1b. Argent a volcano proper, 2. Or a sailing boat sable ensigned gules on a sea wavy azure".
The rose alludes to the name of the municipality, the volcano represents Piton de la Fournaise and the boat probably recalls the settlement of the area.

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 11 February 2009