This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Zeist (The Netherlands)

Utrecht province

Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: zeist |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Zeist municipality Shipmate Flagchart :
adopted 24 May 1971.

See also:

Zeist municipality

Number of inhabitants (1 Jan 2003): 59.653; area: 48,65 km². Settlements: Zeist (seat), Austerlitz, Bosch en Duin, Den Dolder, Huis ter Heide. It is a suburb of Utrecht city. The Slot (Castle) of Zeist was the residence of Louis XIV of France in
1672. The castle was rebuilt in 1686. It was bought in 1745 by the Hernhutters or Moravian Brethren, who made this the center of their missionary activities in the Netherlands and the former Dutch colonies.
On 24 May 1971 a new flag was adopted: two stripes of black and white, proportoned 1:3; the dividing line embattled with two whote and two half embattlements. Flagproportions 2:3.
Jarig Bakker, 2 Sep 2003

Municipal standard

Zeist municipal standard] Shipmate Flagchart :
adopted 24 May 1971.

At the same time a municipal standard was taken into use, with the same description, but with overall proportions 1:1.
source: Derkwillem Visser's Gemeentevlaggen en wapens Koninkrijk der Nederlanden, 2001.
Jarig Bakker, 2 Sep 2003

Old Zeist flag

[Old Zeist flag] Shipmate Flagchart :

Until 1938 a colorful horizontal two-striped black over white flag was unofficially in use.
Jarig Bakker, 2 Sep 2003

Zeist 1938 flag

[Zeist 1938 flag] by Jarig Bakker, 2 Sep 2003

A new flag was adopted 22 Jul 1938, probably on the occasion of Queen Wilhelmina's 40 years reigning jubilee.
Description: two equally wide horizontal stripes of black and white with in the canton the municipal arms, fimbriated white.
The colors are derived from the municipal arms.
Source: Sierksma's Nederlands Vlaggenboek 1962. [sie62]
Jarig Bakker, 2 Sep 2003

Zeist Coat of Arms

[Zeist Coat of Arms] from Ralf Hartemink's site.

The Coat of Arms of Zeist was granted 11 Sept 1816. Blazon: argent in chief embattled noir.
This was the Coat of Arms of the Van Seijst family, mentioned already in the 12th century. This family was the oldest known family which owned Zeist

Austerlitz village

[Austerlitz village flag] by Jarig Bakker, 28 Aug 2003

Austerlitz is a village in de municipality of Zeist, Utrecht province. It originated in a military camp of the French, which was there during and after the battle at Austerlitz (now Slavkov u Brna, Czech Republic), where Napoleon defeated the Austrians and Russians in 1805. In the winter of 1805/'06 the French commander had the Pyramid of Austerlitz erected just outside the village (and beyond the village boundary).
On Sunday morning, 2 Dec 1972, 9.00 the Mayor of Zeist, assisted by local prominent people, hoisted the village flag of Austerlitz, after the national and municipal flag had been raised. The flag was designed by the Stichting Heraldiek en Banistiek in consultation with the Austerlitz citizens. The flag contains the most striking village-feature: the pump! (The 'pyramid" is outside the village boundary).
Description: three horizontal stripe of green and white; in the hoist a turned white hoist-triangle and a white triangle; the center of the white stripe has a geen disk of 1/10 flagheight; on the base of the hoist-triangle narrow green stripes have been added in such a way that the letter "A" can be discerned.
Viewed from the fly the silhouette of the village pump is clearly visible!
<and I may add: the pyramid has been smuggled in too!>
Source: Vexilla Nostra 1973 nr. VIII.
Jarig Bakker, 28 Aug 2003