This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Heerhugowaard [North Holland, Municipality] (The Netherlands)
Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: heerhugiwaard |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.flagchart.net
adopted 16 Nov 1953
Number of inhabitants (1 Jan 2003): 47.313; area: 39,99 km². Settlements:
Heerhugowaard (seat), Broekhorn, Butterhuizen, De Noord, Draai, Frik, Kabel,
't Kruis, Veenhuizen, Verlaat.
Heerhugowaard was originally the lake in which Count Willem II was
killed in 1256. The lake was made dry in 1625-1631. "Heer Hugo" was Hugo
van Assendelft, lord of the castle of Medemblik during the reign of Count
Floris V. Heer Hugo was killed when the Westfriezen revolted after the
murder of Floris, and destroyed the castle of Medemblik (1296).
Heerhugowaard Coat of Arms
image from this
Granted 8 Dec 1936.