Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: oldekerk |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.flagchart.net
adopted 27 Mar 1967; in use 1967-1990.
Reported on the Benevex-list by Stefan Lambrechts: the flag of the villages Niekerk, Oldekerk and Faan, in the municipality of Grootegast, Groningen province, as presented at this site.
Flagdescription: three equally wide horizontal stripes red, blue, yellow;
in center the arms of the former municipality of Oldekerk.
Arms: per fess a) or a church gules; b) per pale azure an eagle or armed gules; argent a cross issuant with two footstools (schamel) all gules in base a mound sable. The shield surmounted by a crown or of two leaves and two pearls.
The church is thought to be the old church of Oldekerk, which existed
until the first quarter of the 17th century.
The eagle represents the old family Aldringa, of old living in the Aldringaheerd in Niekerk.
The cross and footstools &c are from the arms of the Millingha-family, living in Faan.
Oldekerk seceded from Grootegast in 1811, but got its arms only on 9
October 1930. In 1990 the municipality reverted to Grootegast.
See also Ralf Hartemink's site.
Jarig Bakker, 21 Apr 2008