This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Easterwierrum (The Netherlands)
Littenseradiel municipality, Fryslân province
Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: easterwierrum |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
by Jarig Bakker, 8 Sep 2003
adopted 1995; Design: P. Bultsma (then living in Easterwierrum).
Easterwierrum village (Oosterwierum)
Easterwierrum (Dutch: Oosterwierum) is a village in Littenseradiel municipality
in Fryslân province. It used to be in the former municipality of Baarderadeel, with (1958):
379 inh; (1974): 337. The village was built on a terp, but moved later
towards the road and the canal. The church was pulled down in 1903, only
the church tower remained. There are some remnants of Roman Catholics in
the village. In the hamlet De Dille used to be an IJsherberg. At that point
was a high bridge over the Swette-canal (a "tille", see Kootstertille).
It seems that speed-skating matches were organized there.
Nickname: Hynstetyskers ((shady) horse-sellers)
Easterwierrum coat of arms: in blue a golden spire, with two sound-holes in
top, and a little window in the center, and below a door with an arch;
the tower stand on a green "wier" (terp) issuing from base, and charged
with three golden pennies, placed 1 and 2; the tower with two facing facing
horse-heads, the manes and the neck as a long addorsed curl, all
Flag: green, with a yellow nodded hoist-=triangle reaching into the
fly; on the yellow part a black erased horse-head of about 7/15 flagheight.
Motto: Libje foar- en meielkoar, of black capitals on a white
The spire is "De âld toer" (the old tower), the alone
standing 12th century spire on the terp, outside the present village. Easterwierrum
was renowned for its horse-market, hence the horse-heads. The pennies refer
to the patron saint of the old church: St. Nicholas.
The village-hymn is "De âld toer", and its ends with the
sentence: "Libje foar- en mei elkoar" (live for and with each other).
That sentence is written on the wall of the churchyard on the terp around
the old tower.
The flag is a simplified version of the coat of arms.
Design: P. Bultsma.
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 1995.
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.
Baerderadiel: in Geakunde, 1977.
Jarig Bakker, 8 Sep 2003
Easterwierrum coat of arms
from Wapens en Flaggen fan Littenseradiel, booklet of the municipality.