This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Lawrence School - Sanawar (India)

Last modified: 2013-06-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: lawrence school | sanawar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Lawrnce School flag] image by Ivan Sache, 21 May 2013

See also:

Meher Baba's flag

The Lawrence School - Sanawar is located in the Kasauli Hills, Solan District, Himachal Pradesh, India.

Quoting the School's official website:
"The Lawrence School - Sanawar, established in 1847, situated at a height of 1750 metres and spread over an area of 139 acres, heavily forested with pine, deodar and other conifer trees, is the fruit of the vision of Sir Henry Lawrence, and his wife Honoria. Sanawar is a co-educational boarding school, affiliated to CBSE [Central Board of Secondary Education] and has students of varying backgrounds from different parts of the sub-continent. It provides an environment that encourages a questioning mind and gives students many avenues for expressing their creativity and building their skills."

Quoting the Ulster History Circle website:
"Henry Montgomery Lawrence was born at Matara, Ceylon, on 28th June 1806 [...]. In 1838, Henry and Honoria Marshall, from Fahan, were married and a year later Henry was given the civil charge of Ferozepore followed by important trusts in Nepal, Lahore and elsewhere. After he was knighted in 1848, Sir Henry continued to serve in the Punjab until March 1857, when Lord Canning, the Governor-General, appointed him as Chief Commissioner and Agent in Oudh. Realising the precarious situation in the Province, Sir Henry urgently arranged for the vulnerable population in the area to gather in the grounds of the Residency of Lucknow, which he had   already fortified and supplied with stores and ammunition. On 2nd July 1857, while at breakfast, Sir Henry was struck by shrapnel from an exploding shell. He died two days later unaware that in London he had been appointed Governor-General-in-Waiting. It was during his time in the Punjab that Sir Henry, ably supported by Lady Honoria, founded a boarding school at Kasauli, near Shimla, for orphans and children of British soldiers who had served in India. This asylum was a great success and later became known as the Royal Military School, Sanawar [...]."

The flag of the Lawrence School - Sanawar is horizontally divided - Photo of the flag hoisted at the top of Mount Everest, 21 May 2013 - Photo of the flag hoisted on the grounds of the School

The School's Departments each have a specific, based on the same pattern. The flag is horizontally divided in eight stripes - coloured-white-coloured-white-white-coloured-white-coloured. The central white stripes are separated by a coloured fimbriation. Along the hoist is placed a white triangle charged with a specific emblem.
Himalaya Yellow
Nilagri Dark green or black
Siwalik Green
Vindhya Red - School's website

Ivan Sache, 21 August 2007