Last modified: 2015-06-29 by andrew weeks
Keywords: qiryat ono | kiryat ono | iriyat qiryat ono | text: hebrew (black) | tower (blue) | flower (pink) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dov Gutterman and Santiago Dotor
Emblem adopted 17th December 1964
Qiryat Ono is situated 11 kms east to Tel
Aviv, just east of Ramat-Gan, and
named after the biblical Ono Valley (Nehemiah 10,12). It was
founded in 1939 and has 30,000 inh.
The unofficial flag spotted is blue with emblem. The flag is printed on both sides, so they are the same and the background is not mirrored. The municipal emblem was published in the official gazette (Rashumot), YP 1139, 17 December 1964, for the then Local Council Qiryat Ono.
Sources: author's own observation; photograph sent to me by Mrs. Rachel Burstein; municipal website.
Dov Gutterman, 20 September 2001
Established in 1939 as a village named Kefar Ono. In 1950 a
transitional new-immigrants residence established near the
village. In the same year Kefar Ono joined nearby communities in
founding of Regional Council of Ono (later Regional Council of Ef'al ) but as it
lost its agriculture character, it retired from the Regional
Council in 1954 and became Qiryat Ono of Qiryat Ono. Building of
new neighborhoods (Kir'on, Rimon and Yaron) and incorporation of
Giv'at Bera'ha (est. 1947) enlarge its population and in 1992 it
became a municipality.
The name of the town is taken from the biblical town of Ono (Chronicles A, 8 12) identified in nearby Hirbat Ana and Ono Valley (Nehemiah 10,12).
According to the municipal website, the emblem reflects on the past and the future of Qiryat Ono. In the emblem there is a citrus tree which remind us of the citrus plants of the area, while the colors of orange and green. give the emblem its colorfulness and beauty. In the background there ia an wall of stones which symbolize construction. The emblem was chosen architectural committee that was appointed by the first local council's mayor, Mr. Ya'aqov Cohen.
Dov Gutterman, 3 May 2005
image from <www.kiryatono.muni.il>