Last modified: 2019-07-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: aspropyrgos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Aspropyrgos, current and former versions - Images by Tomislav Šipek, 5 May 2019, and Olivier Touzeau, 17 July 2013, respectively
The municipality of Aspropyrgos (30,251 inhabitants in 2011, 10,198 ha) is a suburbs of Athens, located 15 km northwest of the city center of Athens in the Thriasian Plain.
The municipality was not changed with the 2011 local government reform.
Olivier Touzeau, 17 July 2013
The flag of Aspropyrgos (photo) is white with the municipal emblem. The former municipal flag (Kokkonis website) was blue with an inner white border, and the municipal emblem in white in the center including the name of the municipality and the year "1899" below.
Aspropyrgos means in Greek "White Tower / Castle". This refers to an old Frankish
tower (13th-14th centuries), of which little has remained but white
stones and marble blocks used for its foundations, taken from ancient tombs.
The white tower featured on the emblem is the much more modern clock tower that overlooks this industrial town, which is the site of Greece's largest oil refinery.
[Castles of Greece]
Tomislav Šipek, Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 6 May 2019