This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Tbilisi (Town and Region, Georgia)

თბილისი

Last modified: 2018-07-22 by ivan sache
Keywords: tbilisi |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag]         [Emblem]

Flag and emblem of Tbilisi - Images by Jens Pattke, 18 November 2007


See also:


Flag of Tbilisi

The flag of the town (and Region) of Tbilisi is rectangular, white with a wide dark blue crossed fimbriated in gold. A graphical representation of the town of Tbilisi on a dark red background is placed in the middle of the cross, surrounded by seven golden seven-pointed stars.

The emblem of Tbilisi was adopted on 8 June 2005 by Municipal Resolution 15-1.

The emblem of the town of Tbilisi is "a Georgian shield" with round letters and the following composition: around a graphical representation of the capital letter "T" is the stylized design of a sparrow-hawk and pheasant, where the order of the letters is taken as a symbol. The emblem expresses the essence of the legend describing the city. Located on the emblem upper periphery are seven seven-pointed stars. The emblem is surrounded mainly with oak fronds - the symbol of eternity and power- on the bottom, which creates a cross-like partition where the word "Tbilisi" is written with capital (round letters) and nuskha khutsuri letters. The axial end of the emblem is water. The emblem of the town of Tbilisi is an heraldic emblem based on the town's legend.

Jens Pattke & Ivan Sache, 18 November 2007


Former flag of Tbilisi

[Former flag of Tbilisi]

Former flag of Tbilisi - Image by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 5 April 2002

A former flag of Tbilisi was designed by Emil Burdzhanadze.

Victor Lomantsov, 5 April 2002


Universities

Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University

[Flag]

Flag of TSU - Image by Ivan Sache, 15 October 2017

The Tbilisi State University (TSU; website), the first-ever national University in the Caucasus was opened on 26 January 1918, the day of commemoration of King David the Builder (new style 8 February). The establishment of the university was pushed by the Georgian Free University Society, whose members first gathered on 12 May 1917 at the apartment of the chemist Petre Melikishvili (1850-1927) in Tbilisi. the meeting was chaired by the historian and archeologist Ekvtime Takaishvili (1863-1953). It was decided to establish only one faculty initially – the Faculty of Philosophy, which would have united humanitarian fields as well as natural science and mathematics. The Council of Professors elected Petre Melikishvili (1850-1927) the first rector of the university, while the historian and linguist Ivane Javakhishvili (1876-1940) took charge of the Faculty of Philosophy.

In 1989 the Tbilisi State University was named after Ivane Javakhishvili, who served as the second rector of TSU (1919-1926).
TSU is composed of the Faculties of Exact and Natural Sciences, Humanities, Social and Political Sciences, Psychology and Educational Sciences, Economics and Business, Medicine, and Law.

The flag of TSU (photo, photo) is blue with the university's coat of arms in the center.

The coat of arms of TSU, adopted as a draft on 5 February 1918 during the fourth meeting of the Council of Professors, was first officially used in 1922.
The arms were designed by Dimitri Shevardnadze (1885-1937). Shevarnadze studied arts in St. Petersburg ant at the Munich Academy of Arts. He laid the foundation of the Georgian Artists's Society in 1917, contribute to the establishment of the Georgian Museum of Arts in 1920 and founded the Georgian National Gallery in 1920. His firm opposition to the destruction of the Metekhi church in Tbilisi resulted in his imprisonment and execution in 1937 during Stalin's repressions.

The arms are based on early, zoomorphic pre-Christian and Christian iconography. The central element of the seal represents a she-deer with a baby deer, as a symbol of transmission of wisdom and knowledge from generation to generation.
The ring surrounded the deer is charged with 24 animals (leopard, lion, sheep, snake, antelope, tiger, rhinoceros, bull, roe...) and mythical beasts (Pegasus, griffon...). The design is based on the decoration of the church of Ishkani (once part of a famous monastery, today located in Turkey, near the village of Arpacık, Artvin Province; photo), surveyed in 1917 by an archeological expedition Shevarnadze was part of. Dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, the church was built in 1006 by Gurgen (994-1008), the first Georgian king from the Bagratid dynasty. While the original artwork includes only 19 figures, Shevarnadze added another 5 elements for the sake of symmetry of the design.
[TSU website]

Ivan Sache, 15 October 2017


Georgian Technological University

[Flag]

Flag of TSU - Image by Ivan Sache, 15 October 2017

The Georgian Technical University (GTU; website) was founded in 1922 as a Polytechnic Faculty of the Tbilisi Sate University. The Georgian Polytechnic Institute (GPI) separated in 1928. Granted the university status, the institute was renamed to Georgian Technical University in 1990.
GTU is composed of the Faculties of Civil Engineering, Power Engineering and Telecommunication, Mining and Geology, Chemical Technology and Metallurgy, Transportation and Mechanical Engineering, Architecture, Urban Planniong and Design, Informatics and Control System, Business-Engineering, and Agricultural Sciences and Biosystems Engineering, and of the International Design School.

The flag of GTU (photo, photo, photo) is white with a red cross superimposed with the university's coat of arms.
The cross' width is 1/5 of the flag's hoist. The shield covers 43% of the flag's width.

The coat of arms of GTU is red with a yellow and red border, charged with a black and yellow eagle standing on a yellow base and spreading its wings. Below the eagle are placed the name of the university in Georgian and Latin (Georgiae Universitas Rerum Technici), the foundation year (A922) and a golden bough. The shield is surmounted by a yellow scroll charged with the university's Latin motto, "Scientia Potestas Est" (Science Is Power) and the university's acronym in Georgian script.
[GTU website]

Ivan Sache, 15 October 2017


East European University

[Flag]

Flag of EEU - Image by Ivan Sache, 2 June 2018

The flag of EEU (photo) is dark red with the university's emblem - here, the name is written in Georgian script.

Ivan Sache, 2 June 2018


Football clubs

F.C. Dinamo Tbilisi

The supporters of Dinamo Tbilisi use different blue and white flags:

[Flag]

Flag of Dinamo Tbilisi - Image by Victor Lomantsov, 24 July 2015

- a blue flag with the current emblem adopted in 2012, blue with a stylized eagle`s head (photos);

[Flag]

Flag of Dinamo Tbilisi - Image by Victor Lomantsov, 24 July 2015

- a blue flag quartered by a white cross, the second and third quarters of a lighter shade of blue, the letters "F", "C", "D", and "T" in the respective quarters, and, in the middle, the emblem adopted in 2011 (photos);

[Flag]

Flag of Dinamo Tbilisi - Image by Victor Lomantsov, 24 July 2015

- a white flag quartered by a blue cross, the numerals "1", "9", "2", and "5" in the respective quarters, and, in the middle, the emblem used before 2011 (photos);

[Flag]         [Flag]         [Flag]

Flags of Dinamo Tbilisi - Images by Victor Lomantsov, 24 July 2015

- blue and white chequered flags (photos), sometimes with a round emblem in the middle (photo).

Victor Lomantsov, 24 July 2015


F.C. WIT Georgia

[Flag]

Flag of F.C. WIT Georgia - Image by Victor Lomantsov, 27 July 2015

The flag of F.C. WIT Georgia (photo), a team sponsored by the American company WIT Inc., is white with the club's emblem in the middle.

Victor Lomantsov, 27 July 2015